Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Agree with QDM
66.20%
Don't Agree with QDM
14.08%
Support it but donn't do it
4.23%
No/Mixed Opinion
15.49%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

QDM

Old 04-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: QDM

For those of you lucky enough to own sufficient land or be teamed up with honest neighbors QDM is great and even antlers restrictions at state imposed levels seems by all account to be increasing rack size if not overall number but I believe the vast majority of hunters hunt public land and are are thrilled to harvest pretty much any deer.

I have 30 years of experience under my belt but I shoot 2.5 YO bucks on public land. Is that QDM?? I hunt for the love of it and a big rack alone is not my only measure of success.

I'm betting 90% of us would love a big enough chunk to put in a food plot never mind manage OUR herd. It would be cool to have a poll of struggling public land hunters vs those who own or lease land. To those of you who do own land, I am jealous. .. Good luck to all.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE:no! QDM

All depends on the quality at hand,in some parts of the country were big bucks roam i would say yes,but here where i hunt i would end up hanging up my bow,so i arrow whatever crosses my path or do with out.......
Old 04-01-2008, 04:40 PM

Default RE: RE:no! QDM

I agree that in some areas, it is very hard to do. does that mean it is impossible, no, but I can see that it would be hard to be serious about it, and I don't blame those who hunt areas like that.

BTW everyone Thank you very much, this has really been great for my research paper and I appreciate it more than you know. It does make for good topic. I am all for being happy with what you shoot, and being proud to tell that story. that is one of the best parts of hunting. Thanks again!
Old 04-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

What is the goal for QDM? Is it a healthy deer herd or is it for better quality of bucks?Both? Can someone tell me what was QDM was intended to do from the start.I don't really have an opion on it ,need more info.I would like to see more does killed in my hunting area and less young bucks,but that's my personal preference and it is hard to do if all the hunters around you don't have the same goals.How large an area do you think it would take to accomplish something like this.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with those who are saying they are for QDM but against antler management. Just letting little bucks walk and not harvesting any does is harming your deer herd more than helping it and will in turn lead to smaller buck sizes anyway. Like magic man said, "QDM is really just getting the herd back to the way mother nature intended. 50/50 sex ratio and a balanced age structure." Its like Lee and Tiffany on Gettin' Close, I think most supporters of actual QDM despise when Tiffany says "Bigger Bucks" and love when Lee says, "healthier deer." Healthier deer and a balanced deer herd are the goals, not just trophy bucks. Also, one thing I've never understood is those who are opposed to QDM and say they are hunitng solely for meat but refuse to shoot does and take small spikes, 4 and 6 pointers. If you're simply out their hunting for meat, it shouldn't matter whether you harvest a doe or not IMO.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is the goal for QDM? Is it a healthy deer herd or is it for better quality of bucks?Both? Can someone tell me what was QDM was intended to do from the start.I don't really have an opion on it ,need more info.I would like to see more does killed in my hunting area and less young bucks,but that's my personal preference and it is hard to do if all the hunters around you don't have the same goals.How large an area do you think it would take to accomplish something like this.
What is Quality Deer Management? Printer Friendly Quality Deer Management (QDM) is a management philosophy/practice that unites landowners, hunters, and managers in a common goal of producing biologically and socially balanced deer herds within existing environmental, social, and legal constraints. This approach typically involves the protection of young bucks (yearlings and some 2.5 year-olds) combined with an adequate harvest of female deer to maintain a healthy population in balance with existing habitat conditions and landowner desires. This level of deer management involves the production of quality deer (bucks, does, and fawns), quality habitat, quality hunting experiences, and, most importantly, quality hunters.

A successful QDM program requires an increased knowledge of deer biology and active participation in management. This level of involvement extends the role of the hunter from mere consumer to manager. The progression from education to understanding, and finally, to respect; bestows an ethical obligation upon the hunter to practice sound deer management. Consequently, to an increasing number of landowners and hunters, QDM is a desirable alternative to traditional management, which allows the harvest of any legal buck and few, if any, does.

QDM guidelines are formulated according to property-specific objectives, goals, and limitations. Participating hunters enjoy both the tangible and intangible benefits of this approach. Pleasure can be derived from each hunting experience, regardless if a shot is fired. What is important is the chance to harvest a quality buck - an opportunity lacking in many areas under traditional management. When a quality buck is taken on a QDM area, the pride can be shared by all property hunters because it was they who produced it by allowing it to reach the older age classes which are necessary for large bodies and antlers.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

one thing I've never understood is those who are opposed to QDM and say they are hunitng solely for meat but refuse to shoot does and take small spikes, 4 and 6 pointers. If you're simply out their hunting for meat, it shouldn't matter whether you harvest a doe or not IMO.
I pretty much never see this where I am. Those opposed to mandatory AR (which has little to do with REAL QDM) who call themselves meat hunters are as willing to shoot does as small bucks.

The ones that don't shoot their share of does tend to be the trophy hunters looking to ONLY shoot big antlers and nothing else.

Then we have the ones that say they are QDM - only shoot 6 pt or better. Trouble is here in CNY, the majority of 6 pts are 1 1/2 old - same as the spike or 4 pt that they don't want anyone else shooting. NO logic at all, but golly "we are QDM"!

Steve
Old 04-01-2008, 07:02 PM

around here I, too, get the "I'm a meat hunter" shpeel yet they don't shoot does. Even if you are a meat hunter strictly, in most areas there are enough does to go around twice, why not just shoot one of them instead of a little buck, sinc obviously the bucks don't matter. I don't mean to step on any toes with that statement, but I see that a lot, and it makes no sense to me.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

one thing I've never understood is those who are opposed to QDM and say they are hunitng solely for meat but refuse to shoot does and take small spikes, 4 and 6 pointers. If you're simply out their hunting for meat, it shouldn't matter whether you harvest a doe or not IMO.
I pretty much never see this where I am. Those opposed to mandatory AR (which has little to do with REAL QDM) who call themselves meat hunters are as willing to shoot does as small
They may be willing to shoot young bucks AND does, but I gurantee you that the majority of your meat hunters, will harvest younger bucks on a regular basis. Why, becuase young bucks are easy, thus the hunter can routinely harvest. My problem is, is you are a meat hunter then you are hunting for the best meat, no? Just as trophy hunters are hutning for the best trophy. So why not hunt for the best meat (does) rather than harvesting a young ignorant buck.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Dominant Buck

I'll be honestI checked no/mixed emotions.

I believe in doing it if you own, or have sole control over who hunts the land and canmake a standand enforce the goals of the herd and property.

I don't think one person or even a group of people can do anything on tracts of land that are beyond enforcement of these goals. (such as public lands). That doesn't mean that a person cannot do what they feel is the right thing.
I'm for people doing whatever kind of QDM they want on their own property. Not interested in having it shoved down my throat, though.
Good stuff, guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.