Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Agree with QDM
66.20%
Don't Agree with QDM
14.08%
Support it but donn't do it
4.23%
No/Mixed Opinion
15.49%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

QDM

Old 03-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: QDM

ORIGINAL: mnbirddog

I notice a lot of different definitions for QDM. What's yours? Is it about producing "quality" deer? Or a "quality" deer herd. You won't find many people against a large healthy deer herd. You would find more people against only trying to produce big bucks.
This is the problem. Ideally, yes, everyone wants a LARGE AND HEALTHY herd, but there are other elements involved (environmental conditions, urban encroachment, habitat, food supply, etc), SOME places cannot have both. Sometimes a smaller herd is a healthier herd in that it's an optimum number that balances the number for deer in the herd to what the particular environment can sustain. I'm not for
Old 03-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm for people doing whatever kind of QDM they want on their own property. Not interested in having it shoved down my throat, though. There is not much of any QDM in the area where my land is located and everybody that puts in some effort generally gets a nice buck. if it aint broke, dont try to fix it.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

My biggest problem with the movement is they can't shut up about it. Then again if a hunter wants to tell me where the deer are I'm not going to let the info go.

Why do you think bows and equipment cost so much? (hint,hint paper writer the cost of QDM)Didyaknow when the gold rush was on in California that a land speculator sent out with the unaware miners barrels of dust that looked like gold and dumped them into springs on land they owned. They finally were able to sell that land at unheard of prices. It wasn't a state yet and shortly after the Gov. came in and thanked them for their fine work and at the same time the wealthy took over. The guy who first discovered the gold died broke and insane. The story is repeated over and over. The hunting industry is in the middle of it now. "That's a fine deer you got there boy! Ya know in order for us to maintain such high standards were going to need your help".

It's the Horn Rush and most of you guys are the miners (they didn't do well) Some of you are the shovel salesmen (they were the real winners if you want to call it that way). "This equipment will get you that big buck", " I got this buck and owe it all to brand X". Baloney.

Some of you guys froth up more than my hound dog does when he's onto something. You already know, I'm nodog.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

i support QDM i don't bother practicing now because there are a metric ton of deer in MI (especially where i hunt) call it Quantity control. I will most definately practice QDM when i get my own place
Old 04-01-2008, 02:12 PM

what does everyone consider a shooter buck?
for me it's gotta be a 3.5 for sure, but he's gotta be 125-130 depending on the deer.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Beagle001

for me it's gotta be a 3.5 for sure, but he's gotta be 125-130 depending on the deer.
Exactly.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Beagle001

Most 3.5's in my area are border P@Y. They will usually get the pass unless there supporting a 130" to 135" rack or just the opposite and aren't going to amount to anything. Most of them 3.5's I let go will be 140"+ 4.5's next year. Thats what I'm after and I know there P@Y bucks without a dought.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mobow

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

QDM (not antler management) in it's true form is about the animal/species. It may or may not be what hunters want but it's not about hunters. Hunting is all about deer management, we are managers, we manage the herd through hunting licensing and filling tags. Why not manage for a quality herd?
Rob, you're exactly correct......but........I don't feel there is a true and pure form of QDM anymore. QDM is antler management, and that's the way it is. Yes, I understand that a by product of QDM will be larger racked bucks.....But it's no longer a by product, it'sa goal. The end result of that is money.

I want to be perfectly clear in saying that what someone does w/ their own land is their business, and I'm behind them 100%. But outfitters are making TONS of money on what? Shooting does?? Hell no, and that's a HUGE part of QDM. BIG RACKS is what they're making money on. I've seen trophy fees up to $400 an INCH over 140".........OMG......shoot a 170" deer, and you've spent $12000 on trophy fees alone. That's not including the 4 or 5 grand you spent on the hunt. States are making a pile of money as well, raising out of state permit costs. This is all "hidden" under the QDM blanket. QDM is about money. In it's pure and truest form, it's about a healthy deer herd. With large racks being a by product.

Anymore, I think it's about large racks w/ a healty deer herd as a by product. I'm all for a healthy deer herd, and if that means antler restrictions, well......so be it. BUT, what really ticks me off is legislation telling me it's about the deer......Sorry, but I gotta call bluff on that one. That's just how they market it. I know it sounds like I am against QDM, and I'm not. I just wish they would call it what it is.

Great post! 100% agree
Old 04-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I am all for QDM. I am against "Antler Managment" that is called QDM.
Ditto.....
Old 04-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

QDM is really just getting the herd back to the way mother nature intended. 50/50 sex ratio and a balanced age structure. I find it hard to believe anyone would be opposed to that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.