Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Teach me FOC

Old 03-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Teach me FOC

Think of it like this: If the front is heavy it is basically pulling the rear along with it, especially through flesh, etc. There is no "battle" to lead, so to speak. If the rear is just as heavy, or heavier to use an extreme example, when the front encounters resistance, flesh, then the rear will try to "swing out" and proceed on its own. Then you do not have the maximum energy directed at the tip/front, it is now being spread out across the shaft, thus decreasing penetration potential.

That is my hacked up description in trying to regurgitate what I have read. My high FOC arrows punch through my targets all of the time and my lower FOC arrows are less likely to. So, even my experience has shown me that high FOC out penetrates low FOC.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Dominant Buck

With a higher FOC the arrow is going to be able to take the straighest path through the animal more easily than a lower FOC which would deflect much easier, losing energy along the way.
That's why I said "If your bow is tuned".

And I can promise you an arrow with a FOC of 1 or less WILL fly straight.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Why would it be imortant? Doesn't KE compute off total arrow weight?

If your bow is tuned....and your arrow is flying true.....why would it make a difference what your 500 gr arrow's FOC was?

Just curious.
Jeff go read Dr Ashby's reports over on Tradgang. Lots of reading but it should explain it much better than I could how high FOC helps with a hunting arrow setup.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

With a higher FOC the arrow is going to be able to take the straighest path through the animal more easily than a lower FOC which would deflect much easier, losing energy along the way.

The KE won't be any different but the loss of KE as it goes through the animal would drop off much faster.

That's just a thought that popped in my head, I don't know if it would actualy be true.
LOL a much more eloquent way to explain it. Very good!!
Old 03-11-2008, 11:30 AM

Yes but when it encounters stuff going through the deer a light front end with delfect much easier causing the arrow to change paths losing energy along the way.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Once it hits the animal it is no longer flying, it is penetrating and there will be different forces influencing its path as opposed to just air when in flight.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Dominant Buck

You're still talking about an elongated shpere (rod)that weighs 500gr.

Period.

It's no more being "pulled" by the front end than it is "pushed" by the back end or the bowstring.

If it's flying true it is an elongated sphere (rod)that weighs what it weighs (KE-wise).

That's my logic......and it could be wrong.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:36 AM

and if my memory serves me right a high FOC arrow will carry much more momentum than a normal or low FOC arrow. Look at it this way. there is a reason Trad hunter like the heavy arrow setups with heavy heads, it allows them the most penetration with the lower speeds of those bows. and IMHO if I put that type of setup on my compound shooting much higher speeds its gonna feel like a freight train when it hits something possibly casuing some shock (I know it may be very minimal but its got to help some) to go with the cutting the blades of the broadhead will do.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Not even talking about momentum. DOn't know anything about it in a hunting situation.

My logic was based on the fact that nowhere in the formula for KE does FOC show up.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

You're still talking about an elongated shpere (rod)that weighs 500gr.

Period.

It's no more being "pulled" by the front end than it is "pushed" by the back end or the bowstring.

If it's flying true it is an elongated sphere (rod)that weighs what it weighs (KE-wise).

That's my logic......and it could be wrong.
Perhaps with an evenly distributed rod, but if that rod has a 17% FOC it is definitely being "pulled" by the front when it encounters a solid object.

Where does encountering asolid objectshow up in the formula for KE?

Quick Reply: Teach me FOC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.