Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Teach me FOC

Old 03-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Teach me FOC

Jeff, reading the title of this post reminded me of Full Metal Jacket and the prostitute scene---"Teach me FOC"...hahahahaha!
Old 03-11-2008, 09:33 AM

I've never worried too much about it either, but I can see where it could be an issue. As we know, and arrow will always fly heavy end forward. So, if the FOC is too low, or, if the back half of the arrow is heavier, the arrow will want to flip over in flight. Higher FOC gives more stability right off the bow, eliminating the need for the arrow to flip end over end.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

DAng jeff, how do those .89% FOC arrows fly? I'm trying to run an arrow set up that even approaches 4% and I cant do it.
Jeff, if these the arrows out of the Airborne, I wonder if it were some of the issue you were seeing?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Dominant Buck

DAng jeff, how do those .89% FOC arrows fly? I'm trying to run an arrow set up that even approaches 4% and I cant do it.
I won two 3D tournaments shooting them......and shot my entire league (Vegas) shooting them. They flew straight.

Jeff, if these the arrows out of the Airborne, I wonder if it were some of the issue you were seeing?
LOL....WHich issue you wanna talk about??[8D]

Old 03-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, less than 1% FOC blows my mind. You had that bow perfectly tuned to shoot what well with a FOC like that I think. I am as interested in high FOC as everyone and since this is the year I need to buy new arrows I will be seeing what it can do for me. I will not give advice untill I try it out, I think I will buy some extra doe tags and analyze the results.

Does anyone know of weights that attach to the insert/tip to raise the weight? I know you can get brass inserts and such, but I am looking for something that would boost my existing setup w/o getting special inserts or new BHs.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

Wow, less than 1% FOC blows my mind. You had that bow perfectly tuned to shoot what well with a FOC like that I think. I am as interested in high FOC as everyone and since this is the year I need to buy new arrows I will be seeing what it can do for me. I will not give advice untill I try it out, I think I will buy some extra doe tags and analyze the results.

Does anyone know of weights that attach to the insert/tip to raise the weight? I know you can get brass inserts and such, but I am looking for something that would boost my existing setup w/o getting special inserts or new BHs.

PDP makes weights that screw into the back of your insert. You can get them from www.threeriversarchery.com Make sure you get the adapter that works with your brand of arrow. Also gold tip makes them for their arrows too. I have the ones made by PDP. Thats how I get more weight on the front end of my arrows.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods

PDP makes weights that screw into the back of your insert. You can get them from www.threeriversarchery.com Make sure you get the adapter that works with your brand of arrow. Also gold tip makes them for their arrows too. I have the ones made by PDP. Thats how I get more weight on the front end of my arrows.
Thank you!
Old 03-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can also get 50 and 100 grain brass inserts from 3rivers. Be careful getting the PDP weights as some have a diameter that is bigger than the inside of a carbon shaft. Those are for aluminum.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

You can also get 50 and 100 grain brass inserts from 3rivers. Be careful getting the PDP weights as some have a diameter that is bigger than the inside of a carbon shaft. Those are for aluminum.
I have no problem putting them inside my Gold Tip XT's so I believe they will fit inside any normal diameter shaft. Not so sure about the narrow axis type shafts though. But the brassinserts are a good way to go too.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

I am to the point in arrow building/FOC/DW/DL/etc........

.........that I know about as much as I care to.[8D]

I do NOT want to be a "tinkerer".....and if I keep asking questions.....I'm gonna learn more than Iwant to.

(thanks, guys)

Quick Reply: Teach me FOC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.