Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Teach me FOC

Old 03-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Teach me FOC

I don't know if it is my imagination or if I actually read this (I've read so much it runs together at times) but for some reason I thought that a preferred FOC for target arrows was around 10%.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:46 AM

Oh by the way the arrows I beat Rob with 2 weeks ago had an FOC of about 21-22%. 221grns on the front of those arrows. 145grn pt, 31grn insert, and an additional 45 grains of additional weight on the back of the insert.

Oh and 9% is deffintily better than .98% LOL[8D]
Old 03-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, I went to a high FOC setup last year and was amazed at how hard my arrows hit, and actually to me I got better arrow flight.
OL Adcock has won world flight distance records using extreme FOC arrows.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

At the risk of going against the grain here, I've never worried about FOC unless I was building an arrow for Field Archery (out to 80 yards),FITA (out to 90 meters), or if I were building a hunting arrow with a fixed blade head. I do feel that FOC has it'sbenefits when your shaft will likely see windy conditions on long shots, and also when you have a broadhead on the arrow, but otherwise I don't worry about it too much.

My current arrows are just short of 9% FOC and when I'm on I'll wreck at least a couple pin nocks per practice session at 50 yards. In a 50 arrow practice session at this distance I'll miss a 5" spot maybe 2-3 times.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

When I went to Eastons Arrow College, Jay Barns gave us this lesson.

Frick'in
Over
Complicated

He did not use the word frick'in
Old 03-11-2008, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff - I've been toying around with this year's arrow setup... Glad you posted this.

Right now,my hunting arrow (290 gr.)comes in at 10.7%, 340-350 fps, 77# KE- but I'm gonna try to improve it for next year. Mybow draws29", and it's currentlypeaking at69#, which is 4.2 gpp.

If I just go to a lighter pin nock system and Rayzr Feathers, and bump my head weight up to 100 - I can stillkeep my hunting arrow weight around 290 and be at 14.5%. Speeds shouldstay in the 340's, KE stays the same,but I pick up some "free" FOC, just by moving some weight around.

If I did a 125 grain head on that arrow, I'd be hunting with a 320 grain arrow, which is 4.6 gpp, but my FOC would fall at just a smidge over 17%. That would slow me down, but the numbers would look great. Even if my speed came inaround 330'ish-it would still generate between 75and 80# KE.

I agree with Matt - it's really no big deal unless you plan on shooting really long range. I don't shoot very far, but I'm just tinkering around, trying to squeeze the best numbers out of my arrows as possible - andsee how it translates into "real world" performance.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods

Jeff, I went to a high FOC setup last year and was amazed at how hard my arrows hit, and actually to me I got better arrow flight. My arrows had an FOC of almost 22%. You honestly only see the benefits of the high FOC setup once you get to about 19% FOC. Trust me you can hear the difference when your arrow hits. It really packs a punch. The person to talk to about high FOC arrows is Aussieguy, he's the one who got me onto them.

Gold Tip has a FOC calculator on their site and you may want to go read the reports by Dr. Ed Ashby. They can be found on the Tradgang website. He does some great reports on broadheads and high FOC setups.
PA, when you start shooting those high foc arrows does spline become an issue?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods

Jeff, I went to a high FOC setup last year and was amazed at how hard my arrows hit, and actually to me I got better arrow flight. My arrows had an FOC of almost 22%. You honestly only see the benefits of the high FOC setup once you get to about 19% FOC. Trust me you can hear the difference when your arrow hits. It really packs a punch. The person to talk to about high FOC arrows is Aussieguy, he's the one who got me onto them.

Gold Tip has a FOC calculator on their site and you may want to go read the reports by Dr. Ed Ashby. They can be found on the Tradgang website. He does some great reports on broadheads and high FOC setups.
PA, when you start shooting those high foc arrows does spline become an issue?
It does become an slight issue. It usually causes you to have to go up a spine weight to the next stiffer spine. Remember anytime you add weight to the front of the arrow it weakens the spine of the arrow. This is where a good archery program such as TAP, Archers advantage or one of the others comes in handy.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is just my not so expert opinion based on what I read.

IMO for modern compounds(with decent amounts of KE)shooting deer and just regular competitive target shooting....it's not that much an issue as long as you stay in the generally accepted ranges. 8-15%

A .89% FOC blows my mind and is almost to the point of having the back end swap with the front. Not good.

Now for lower KE setups and especially trad gear, it really seems to boost performance according to the studies. Without ever knowing anything about FOC, my compound hunting setups ended up in the 12-13% range. My setup for my trad bow is around 18%. My front end weight was just more to get the total arrow weight up, I let the FOC fall where it may.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:05 AM

DAng jeff, how do those .89% FOC arrows fly? I'm trying to run an arrow set up that even approaches 4% and I cant do it.

Quick Reply: Teach me FOC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.