Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck Trails??

Old 03-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Site Buck Guru

Default Buck Trails??

Have any of you guys ever found or hunted trails that were mostly used by bucks?

I believe that I found one. I knew it was there (the trail), but I found out by accident that it was prefered mostly by bucks. Snow and ice had caused a lot of trees and sapplings to bend over and block a trail that I was monitoring with my trail cam. I just slid the cam slightly around the same tree just a bit and this is what I found. Incidentally, this trail is the one the the buck I shot this year, came down last year to within 15 yards of my stand and didn't offer me a shot! []Oh well, I let him grow another year! [8D]

First some observations. I believe that I can tell a shed buck from a doe. I look at a lot of things like body, size, demeanor but mostly the ears. It seems that a shed buck, especially a recently shed buck, still holds his ears like he still has antlers. Check out these pics.

First a couple of does.

See how the ears are kind of upright as they walk?

Now a couple of bucks.

The first buck is obvious but look at everything I mentioned at the 2nd buck. Here's another reason I believe that the 2nd one is a buck also.

Look at the caution that doe is giving that other deer, it has to be a buck.

Now check this out. After I moved my camera slightly around the tree, I got these pics.

Camera in same spot, doe up close, buck on secondary trail that parellels the doe's trail. Look at his ears. Here's another set.

He's kind of hard to see because the camera catches them when they're behind the tree. Next time out I'll move the cam slightly.

Well what do you guys think??
Old 03-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buck Trails??

Thats pretty cool. Definately think you called it correctly. Man Im callin "uncle". All my trail cams are packed away. You are definately one scouting machine Greg.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I honestly believe nice bucks allot of times only use certain trails. When I'm setting up a stand and I see 2 trails, allot of times I'll pick the smaller sneakier looking trail. My dad taught me that years ago and it holds allot of truth to it. My buck this year was shot off of a so called (buck trail), not much of a trail but a trail. There was always a few tracks on the trail, usually they were decent ones. I'm assuming they were his and maybe others.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Gregh

I had a trail like this, It'spretty much screwed up now. It was about 20 yds south of a main doe trail. When I was about 13 I watch 4 different bucks come down that trail. I move a stand there and had some great hunting for many years. We turn the field in front to CRP and it has not been the same. ButI have a theory

It was not until a 10 years ago I figured it out, the trail was a huge "loop" into bedding areas. Bucks could walk entire woods from the North side to the south and scent check the entire 25+ wood lot. If only I knew not back then
From this trail a buck could check out both fields with a visual and scent check. If the wind is coming out NW(does in Nov alot) he could see both fields.I shot a huge 300+ pound 8 pointer Oct 11th 1997 on that trail. I also shot 3 more bucks off it. I had a streak of 4 years in a row shooting a buck off that stand. I have not hunted it for 8 year now. Dad cut a logging trail right down it

Old 03-10-2008, 02:42 PM

That's pretty fascinating actually. I would never have thought that a buck would carry his ears differently because of the rack, but..it does make some sense, having that rack in the way.

I THINK I found a buck trail last year as well. I jumped that big droptine buck along a standing cornfield last year, and suddenly remembered an ever so faint trail along that ridge as well. Some scouting verified it was there, and it was MUCH more faint and obviously less used than the main trail. I assumed it was made from that buck, who's most likely been bedding there while the corn was standing. I hunted it a couple times to no avail, I never saw him. BUT, by the time hunting season rolls around, the corn is out already. I believe he only beds there while corn is standing. Maybe beans, I'll find that out this year.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great pics! That's a buck in the 4th and 5th pic for sure. You can see that doe on the left,paying special attention to that guy.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

I was told early on in my deer hunting career that a buck uses totally different trails, at least in early season and pre-rut, and that those trails generally are parallel to the much more heavily used doe trails. I've found this to be more true than false. Sometimes a true buck trail is faint and hard to detect unless a person happens upon it directly because I've found in many instances no rubs along a large part of that trail. Very nice pics.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

I have heard that buck trails usually run parrallel to doe trails. It could be so they can keep an eye on what does are doing? Seems like that is usually what the big ones do is watch until everything is clear with the does.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot my first archery buck coming in parallel to a doe trail that was productive the previous 3 consecutive years. His barely visible trail which I didn't realize was there til after the shot was30-40 yards away from the very visible doe trail. I've since suspected that buck travel routesrevolve arounddoe travel routes but I haven't been in the woods long enough to prove that to myself. I guess this confirms or at least supports it.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

That's some pretty cool info greg. thanks for sharring.

Quick Reply: Buck Trails??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.