Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck Trails??

Old 03-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: Buck Trails??

Anything is possible. Besides cover to make them feel safe, it would be ideal if were a shortcut to the next bedding area while allowing them to scent check this one as they went through.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

GR8, i dont know if it will work, but im going to give that exact strategy a shot. I have a small, couple acre patch of thickets andcedars that a bunch ofdeer either bed in, or stage up in before they come out to feed on my one property. We have stands set up all around this area, butits a tough spot to hunt. My one hunting partner, who has killed more monster bucks ( 8 p&y bucks in NJ) than i think i have ever even seen. I took him to my property to see what he thought about setting uptreestands, and hesaid to do the very same thing. He said to go pick out a good tree,then cut a coupledifferent trails that all intersect 15 yards in front of the stand. He also mentioned to not cut the trails too wide, but just enough so that i could sneak in one to get to my stand without making noise. By doing so, the deer will be"lazy" creatures, meaning they normally take the path of least resistance, shoulduse my funnels and converge in my shooting lane. Sounds like a good idea, wewill see how it pans out this fall.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

This time of year it shouldn't be unusual to find bucks together and traveling the same places. It pays off for some. Been pretty cold, they may stay or go come hunting season. Any pines near by?I think they like them in winter because of the warmth they provide.

Deer heard up around hear in winter and break up come spring.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

My Favorite spots to Hunt are Buck travel funnels between 2 Doe areas, especially during the cruising stage. Some of these spots I rarely see a Doe in.

Dan
Old 03-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: njbuck22

GR8, i dont know if it will work, but im going to give that exact strategy a shot. I have a small, couple acre patch of thickets andcedars that a bunch ofdeer either bed in, or stage up in before they come out to feed on my one property. We have stands set up all around this area, butits a tough spot to hunt. My one hunting partner, who has killed more monster bucks ( 8 p&y bucks in NJ) than i think i have ever even seen. I took him to my property to see what he thought about setting uptreestands, and hesaid to do the very same thing. He said to go pick out a good tree,then cut a coupledifferent trails that all intersect 15 yards in front of the stand. He also mentioned to not cut the trails too wide, but just enough so that i could sneak in one to get to my stand without making noise. By doing so, the deer will be"lazy" creatures, meaning they normally take the path of least resistance, shoulduse my funnels and converge in my shooting lane. Sounds like a good idea, wewill see how it pans out this fall.
nj-
on property I used to hunt I always mashed down a trail thru about 3ft high grass/weeds about a month before season started. By the time opening day came there were tons of tracks and little piles all the way.