Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cheaters

Old 03-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cheaters

Here's a good one. We have a shed antler hunt up north every spring. I'm not even shur what the prize is. A local guy has won several years in a row. Then we found out he was getting the sheds from a deer farm. The rules didn't say where you had t find them so technically he wasn't cheating.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

How about all the geniuses who break their skullcaps after ramming a 2x4 inside the spread of their buck to keep it from shrinking during the drying period?

I've named this trick "The Family Entry" - Here's how it goes downad shows up at the sport shop toenter the deer/turkey contest - but he pays two entry fees - one for himself, the second one "for hiswife/kid" (not present). It never fails, maybe during the first week or so, ole' Dad will show up with a big tom or a buckand get it scored. Amazingly, a week or two later, either the Misses or ole Junior will happen to bagone that is actually bigger than the first one that Daddio checked in. Amazing!

It's even funnier when Dad brings the deer/turkey to "get it scored for Junior" (who is still not present). Or when wife was the one who "supposedly" killed the animal, and tags along for the check-in, but it's very obvious to everyone involved that she has never hunted in her entire life.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've gotta say I never really participated in any hunting contests other than here on HNI. I'd love to do a groundhog contest though, next to turkeys and deer I really enjoy shooting these things.

I've seen some really crazy stuff though in 3D. Guys that average 5-10 points below the top scores somehow getting on a 3D course alone with no one in their group and magically shooting their highest score of the year and winning. I also saw one group of archers last year (all buddies) and one of them was actually a really good shooter. He would always shoot first in the group, and as it turns out was using aluminock. Everyone in his group now had a great aiming reference. The thing with 3D, is that you gotta be willing to call people out, and shoot in peer groups score wise.......that really helps to keep things honest when you don't have buds scoring each others arrows.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

How about all the geniuses who break their skullcaps after ramming a 2x4 inside the spread of their buck to keep it from shrinking during the drying period?

I've named this trick "The Family Entry" - Here's how it goes downad shows up at the sport shop toenter the deer/turkey contest - but he pays two entry fees - one for himself, the second one "for hiswife/kid" (not present). It never fails, maybe during the first week or so, ole' Dad will show up with a big tom or a buckand get it scored. Amazingly, a week or two later, either the Misses or ole Junior will happen to bagone that is actually bigger than the first one that Daddio checked in. Amazing!

It's even funnier when Dad brings the deer/turkey to "get it scored for Junior" (who is still not present). Or when wife was the one who "supposedly" killed the animal, and tags along for the check-in, but it's very obvious to everyone involved that she has never hunted in her entire life.
I used to run an Archery check station here in IL. and hung around the firearms check station also. I've seen guys bring their wife to check in a Deer with curlers in her hair.

Who do they think they are fooling?[8D]

Dan
Old 03-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

We used to hold a heaviest coon contestat our hunting club a couple times a year and we always had guys coming in with coons they had penned up to start pups. They would catch a coon fatten him up on dog food, corn, ect. then shoot him and bring him in to be weighed on hunt night. All you usually wonwas around $25 and a bag of dog food. LOL We had to switch the rules around so we could draw the winning weight out of a hat at the end of the night aftereveryone weighed in and whoever got the closest won.

I also saw a guy get kicked out of a bass tourney for catching bass on limb lines the night before the tourney and put them in his live well the next morning.He won 2 or 3 in a row before he got caught. It's hard to beat a guy with 20 or so bass waiting on him to pick thru as soon as the tourney starts.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Years ago there was a guy who got caught cheating at a local charity gopher hunt. Usually a certain amount of the entry fees go towards prize money and the rest was donated to a charity….

This guy got caught shooting gophers ahead of time and freezing them… He got busted because after the hunt and everyone had gathered and was counting the gophers for the official numbers, he had a few that hadn’t un-thawed yet [8D]

Old 03-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't think of many. 7-8 years ago a couple guys I knew went in a catfish tournament. When the day was over, they camein with over twice the lbs of fish as anyone else. I knew these guys weren't quite that good of fisherman, and it was pretty obvious to me how they caughtthem,after seeingthe old telephone cranksitting in the back of the truck(after contest).

But it was a fund-raiser contest... no prizes awarded.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is why I stay out of contest's.....People will allways try to cheat the system...3-D is the best tho,when shooting and following a group of friends,watch them pull and call out 10-8-10-10 and you can see its 5-5-8-8 by where they are pulling the arrows from....
I will only shoot against myself or my best friend that way its all up and up...
Old 03-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Contest are not for me! People do weird things for a little money! I did hear guys at my old work saying they used other peoples horns and entered them into contests if they did'nt get a buck they would just fill there tag out like it was theres. You won't catch me in any contest! Whoops I lie we bet $10 on the 1st shed and $10 on the biggest the other day and I won that.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

[/align]We have a striper tourney hear in May. Its just a bunch of friends get together and have fun. Well it's grown and this friend of that friend is now in it. Fishing starts at 7 and ends at 1. Nothing too complicated about that. A guy got caught two years ago for entering a dead fish(had been dead for atleast a day). Ive never seen it but I've also heard that guys will put ice in the stomach of the fish for the added weight. Then buy the time the fish is gutted to check for sinkers the ice is melted.

Quick Reply: Cheaters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.