Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why bother?

Old 03-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why bother?

sry had to use a trail cam so pics look like crap but i put a ps3 game next to the big ones for size

Old 03-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's why I sleep in and stay warm.

I'm all for wandering around the woods and looking for new stand sites, and scouting areas but I am not going to pretend I'm shed hunting, as it seems very pointless to me.

But kudos to those that put forth the effort against the odds.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shed hunting is a great excuse to get outside in the lull of the year.. when the fish aren't biting yet... seasons are closed...weather is poor.... turkey's aren't gobbling.

I'll be scouting for turkeys on Tuesday... if I find any sheds at all this year.... its usually then..... its sort of a multi-purpose trip to look for both...

I used to put out shed collectors when I was a kid. I got several nice antlers that way. Dig a trench about 8" deep and over the trench lengthwise run a piece of chicken wire between two electric fence poles. Fill the trench with corn.... any bucks that come by to feed will rack their antlers on the fence... often knocking them off... and right there at the base of your little set up. Amazingly simple and effective.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:50 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Fran

If it makes you feel any better... we both put on over 10 miles today and only found one shed. This snow has got to go !! [:'(] I know you have it very tough when it comes to finding sheds. You should be proud of your finds as you tromp your arse off to find them. Great job !!

Tim
Old 03-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dink - You're right bro, the smaller ones are probably harder to see. But I'm averaging one about every 8 hours in the woods. That's a pretty crappy "Grand Prize" after 8 hours of hoofing it all over god's creation. LOL

Robdre - those are some awesome finds, buddy. I saw you caught them on the trailcam, which is a bonus!

Troy - I had no snow yesterday morning, it was all mist and rain until 2:00 Saturday. Now today, on the other hand, we had a fresh inch.[>:] As you can see from the massive size of the antlers I've been finding - it won't take much more than 2 or 3 snowflakes to cover 'em up. I'm not too worried about you, buddy. Once those south slopesfinish melting off, you'll beall over 'em. Did u save some "sick"days for shed hunting this spring?

Darren - keep after it chief. Sooner or later, you'll stumble onto one - and then things just snowball from there.

Timmy - I know you guys will start stackin' em up once the snow comes off. Since y'all were out in the snow, how are you guys liking your odds after the melt? Are they yarded up in areas that you can access?

Rybo - good times yesterday, buddy. I figured you'd get a charge out of hangin' out with those guys. I should've brought some of that sausage or a few of those hot pocketshome. [&o] Kinda kickin' myself about that...
Old 03-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brother, the truth inspired cynicism had me laughing so hard I almost didn't make it through yourthreadwithout killing over with laughter. I can't say that I share your frustration, but you're much more persistant and dedicated than I would be in that situation.

Thanks for the laugh and btw the chicka chocka chocka thing... gags me every time.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:39 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Timmy - I know you guys will start stackin' em up once the snow comes off. Since y'all were out in the snow, how are you guys liking your odds after the melt? Are they yarded up in areas that you can access?

Odds aren't too bad as the deer were herded up pretty good in a few of our spots.

Did get a bit of a kickin the teeth yesterday. We lost 1200 acres that we have been shedhunting/hunting for 7 years. The landowner's relatives decided they want to shed hunt it. They weren't happy with just the shedhunting as we lost the hunting this year also.Bad deal as we got along great with the landowner. He is feelingreally bad about it but family comes first which it should.

We are at 73 sheds so far solife isn't all bad.ummmm... let me rephrase that... Tyler has found most of the sheds so life isn't so bad for him. I am just wearing out boot leather for the most part.

Tim
Old 03-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Troy - I had no snow yesterday morning, it was all mist and rain until 2:00 Saturday. Now today, on the other hand, we had a fresh inch.[>:] As you can see from the massive size of the antlers I've been finding - it won't take much more than 2 or 3 snowflakes to cover 'em up. I'm not too worried about you, buddy. Once those south slopesfinish melting off, you'll beall over 'em. Did u save some "sick"days for shed hunting this spring?
Man I just hope the snows in Jan and Feb didnt push them completely off the mountains bucks usually winter on.. one things for sure, its gonna get real interesting here in about 2 more weeks, we had 50 degree weather for the first time the other day and we are suppose to get rain this week.. This winter by far has had the greatest impact on my shedhunting since I started.. I have a feeling I am gonna learn some things about my deer herds this year that I have yet to witness, I sure hope it doesnt equate to a lot of bucks not making it... [][&o][&o]
Old 03-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Site Buck Guru

Dink - You're right bro, the smaller ones are probably harder to see. But I'm averaging one about every 8 hours in the woods. That's a pretty crappy "Grand Prize" after 8 hours of hoofing it all over god's creation. LOL
I am an admitted lousy shed hunter, but my buddy is an awesome hunter and shed hunter and he says he averages 1 shed per 7 hours. So I think you're doing OK.