Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When is PEAK generally?

Old 03-08-2008, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default When is PEAK generally?

1) in a buck's antler size

2) in a buck's weight

And this might be a long shot but just in case anyone might know: If a buck peaked say at 150", what might he be in his last year of life?

If someone had a typical growth chart, that'd be great.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:48 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: When is PEAK generally?

Short answer............... when he is 6 1/2.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

In MI

Old 03-08-2008, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

I believe Greg is right. I know in Illinois, deer are considered mature when they are 4.5, but they probably keep growing in antler size until they are at least 6.5, though they seldom make it. As far as body weight, I'd say a buck would just get heavier and heavier until he gets sick or starts dying.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

In general terms.. this question is nearly impossible to answer due to so many variables which occur in the wild. Nutrition on a year to year basis can play a huge role in determining this factor.. as well as some other important pieces of his envirornment.

However.. generally speaking... and according to most biologists.. a whitetail buck's peak weight is actually at 4.5 yrs. And his peak antler size is generally at 5.5 yrs.

But again.. take these years with a grain of salt.. since so many other variables can come into play. And I've read different biologists finding slightly different results.. but these years are the norm.

(Peak is refering to the greatest gains at which weight and antler growth is achieved.. but does not neccasarily mean greatest weight and antler size.)
Old 03-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

In general terms.. this question is nearly impossible to answer due to so many variables which occur in the wild. Nutrition on a year to year basis can play a huge role in determining this factor.. as well as some other important pieces of his envirornment.

However.. generally speaking... and according to most biologists.. a whitetail buck's peak weight is actually at 4.5 yrs. And his peak antler size is generally at 5.5 yrs.

But again.. take these years with a grain of salt.. since so many other variables can come into play. And I've read different biologists finding slightly different results.. but these years are the norm.

(Peak is refering to the greatest gains at which weight and antler growth is achieved.. but does not neccasarily mean greatest weight and antler size.)
I would believe that the meaning of "peak" would be up to the original poster (it's his thread). In this case I believe he meant heaviest weight and largest antlers. In which 6 1/2 would be closer to the truth. I know one thing, they maintain weight or gain a little more as they age, even past their prime. But, at 6 1/2 they're pretty much at their "peak" weight and antler size. Their are always exceptions to the rule.

Here's a pic of one at his peak.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

5.5 to 6.5 depending on variables.

Dan
Old 03-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Bartender

<----PEAK Well I hit my PEAK weight about Jan 3rd and have since lost 26lbs so I would say 41 yrs of age.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would believe that the meaning of "peak" would be up to the original poster (it's his thread). In this case I believe he meant heaviest weight and largest antlers. In which 6 1/2 would be closer to the truth.
I am not trying to contend with you on this Greg.

But understand why I stated the peak definition. Without it.. the original Q cannot be answered. Why? Because that's like saying a human is biggest at 51 yrs. old. Which as we know.. is not truth. Maybe that dude is biggest at 51 yrs... but thats just him. The Q cannot be answered unless the definition of peak is what I've already stated.

Therefore.. its important to establish just what "peak" is referrring too.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: peakrut

<----PEAK Well I hit my PEAK weight about Jan 3rd and have since lost 26lbs so I would say 41 yrs of age.
But, has he fully matured yet???

Quick Reply: When is PEAK generally?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.