Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When is PEAK generally?

Old 03-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: When is PEAK generally?

5 1/2 to 7 1/2, I'd say in those 3 years he'll have his biggest rack. More likely 6.5 or 7.5 though, over 5.5, and 8.5 he should be on the way down but still nice/big.

As far as body weight? I'd say they peak out around 3.5 or 4.5 and don't gain much after that, just a suspicion, but once they're fully grown, now they have time to put on the big racks, rather than eat to grow in body size etc....
Old 03-09-2008, 01:33 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

[
Ahh.. and that makes it correct?

By picking an age class like 6.5 yrs. your not saying anything. Heck.. if this is the route you choose than I'll show you MULTIPLE pics of 7.5 yr. olds who weigh and have greater antlers than 6.5 yr. olds. It may only be by 1" more of bone.. but I guess its still his "Peak".. isn't it?

By stating 6.5 yrs. you are merely taking a guess.. and nothing more. A stab at an age group does nothing.

If we are choosing that route than fine.. I'll take the rare 8.5 yr. old. Because.. lets face the facts.. his antlers and body size could be bigger than the 6.5 yr. old.

(Oh.. and the human thing I stated earlier.. thats an analogy. I'll try to slow it down better for you next time.)[8D]
In most cases, 6 1/2 would be correct.

By stating 6 1/2 I am not making a guess. I am only restating what I have read, studied and witnessed over many years. You see, I have studied and read what deer biologists have written also, like you.

Like I originally stated... the short answer...... is 6 1/2. Of course there can be exceptions but generally, 6 1/2 is the best single age for top antler size and body weight.

You go right ahead and wait for that rare 8 1/2 year old buck! LMAO!! I hope I'm still alive when you get him! You go Mike! Talk about taking a stab, wow! I wonder how many 5 1/2, 6 1/2 and (if you're lucky) 7 1/2 year old bucks you'd go through before you'd see an 8 1/2!!?? [:-]

As for your analogy, in case you missed it, I'll talk real slow........

I brought it back to deer, to prevent you from confusing people. [8D]

BTW, I'm all for seeing the multiple pics you have of the peak 7 1/2s. Like I said, there are always exceptions. I may even be able to locate some peaked out 8 or 9 year olds, but I'd have to sift through scores of 6 year olds to do it!

Good try though
Old 03-09-2008, 01:38 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

Greg/H, I sure hope you don't end up in another snow bank any time soon. You might have to call a tow truck this time.

Got stuck the very next week! [&o]

But I was preparred this time. Do I appear to be a slow learner? Is it my age?? LMAO!

BTW, the snow is on it's way out. We lost a lot of depth the last few weels.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

No No No No!!!

I meant what time of the year does he peak in antler size and weight. You know, as in which month? All this bio-illogical talk for nothing! LOL I'm jk, I meant what you answered. But hey, did I have you going?

Thanks for the replies guys and gal. I thought it was about 5.5 but now I see it's closer to 6.5

Old 03-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

One more thing...

Anyone know about how much, either in weight or antler size, does a buck lose each year after peak? The reason I'm asking really is because I have my heart set on a booner I saw in January and I'm hoping that if he peaked this passed season that the loss next year wont be too much.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Someday I will get through to you Greg.

You may be a excellent deer hunter. But your reasoning "lacks" as usual.[8D]
Old 03-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

Someday I will get through to you Greg.

You may be a excellent deer hunter. But your reasoning "lacks" as usual.[8D]
Duke, first you must catch up. Take a look around and see what most of the other posters are saying. You'll find that it is your reasoning that is lacking, as usual.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with GERM on this one, In Mi. it's around a year and a half.
Anything with 130" (which is way over standard for here) of bone on the head gets an arrow in it around my place, regardless of what it weighs or how many teeth it still has in it's mouth.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Duke, first you must catch up. Take a look around and see what most of the other posters are saying. You'll find that it is your reasoning that is lacking, as usual.
Here you go chief. Just one of the many articles on the subject one can find.

I don't care if 1,000 people backed you.[8D] In most cases 5.5 would be closer.

Although once again.. none of this matters. Nutrition plays such a huge role. Heck.. its believed that the Hanson buck is only 3.5 yrs. Maybe that was his peak.

The point is.. I'm not even sure what I'm arguing about anymore. I don't care. I'm out.. I gots sheds to find.

peace.

http://www.whitetaildeer-management-and-hunting.com/whitetail-deer-facts.html
Old 03-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Site Buck Guru

I got one too Duke, I guess you can find any answer you want if you look hard enough.

Does a buck deer keep the same set of antlers each year?

No. A buck grows a new set of antlers (not horns) each summer. The size of the antlers depends primarily upon the quality and quantity of food the buck eats and his age. The more nutritious the food and the more there is of it during the antler-growing season, the better his antlers will be. With favorable conditions, antler size and spread will increase with deer age. After the sixth year, however, antlers usually decline in size due to the deer’s inability to properly chew and digest food.

From Texas Parks and Wildlife

BTW, I'd still like to see your multiple pics of the "...at their peak 7 1/2s " you said you'd show me.

Quick Reply: When is PEAK generally?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.