Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When is PEAK generally?

Old 03-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Bartender

Default RE: When is PEAK generally?

We will find out at the HNI get together.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would say most peak with antler size/ wt at 6.5....but some buck it would be 5.5 in my opinion
Old 03-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

To me I would think 6.5 on the antlers would be at his highest level.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Back when we could feed deer in IL, I watched a couple bucks from year to year in the backyard.(NW 'burbs ofChicago)One 'peaked' at 4.5 or 5.5. After that he had massive bases but tine length wasn't there and he grew a bunch of little stickers. Body wise he got bigger, just not in antler.

From that same property a guy shot a net 156 5/8" eight pointer that was only 3.5 years old. He didn't have the big body just a lot of antler. I wonder if he really would have scored any better if he lived longer.

For rough generalization, I'd say 5.5 to 6.5.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I would believe that the meaning of "peak" would be up to the original poster (it's his thread). In this case I believe he meant heaviest weight and largest antlers. In which 6 1/2 would be closer to the truth.
I am not trying to contend with you on this Greg.

But understand why I stated the peak definition. Without it.. the original Q cannot be answered. Why? Because that's like saying a human is biggest at 51 yrs. old. Which as we know.. is not truth. Maybe that dude is biggest at 51 yrs... but thats just him. The Q cannot be answered unless the definition of peak is what I've already stated.

Therefore.. its important to establish just what "peak" is referrring too.
That is why I "re-established" the definition to more closely fit what I believe was the original intent. Why make it difficult?

I think most people think that "peak" is just that, the "top". You know, heaviest weight and largest antlers rather than when they make the largest gain. Am I wrong in thinking this?

As scientific as you want to be, why would you compare human years to deer years? Since a deer has a life span approximately 1/10 of what a human does, it is much easier to approximate the deer's "peak" With the best age for the peak of a deers life being 6 -6 1/2.

As you can see, most others are following this line of thinking.[:-]
Old 03-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's pretty circumstantial, and no matter how much you argue the best generalization is 5.5-6.5 years old.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

most situations i would say 5.5 or 6.5, depending on the nutrition the deer gets
Old 03-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is why I "re-established" the definition to more closely fit what I believe was the original intent. Why make it difficult?

I think most people think that "peak" is just that, the "top". You know, heaviest weight and largest antlers rather than when they make the largest gain. Am I wrong in thinking this?

As scientific as you want to be, why would you compare human years to deer years? Since a deer has a life span approximately 1/10 of what a human does, it is much easier to approximate the deer's "peak" With the best age for the peak of a deers life being 6 -6 1/2.

As you can see, most others are following this line of thinking.
Ahh.. and that makes it correct?

By picking an age class like 6.5 yrs. your not saying anything. Heck.. if this is the route you choose than I'll show you MULTIPLE pics of 7.5 yr. olds who weigh and have greater antlers than 6.5 yr. olds. It may only be by 1" more of bone.. but I guess its still his "Peak".. isn't it?

By stating 6.5 yrs. you are merely taking a guess.. and nothing more. A stab at an age group does nothing.

If we are choosing that route than fine.. I'll take the rare 8.5 yr. old. Because.. lets face the facts.. his antlers and body size could be bigger than the 6.5 yr. old.

(Oh.. and the human thing I stated earlier.. thats an analogy. I'll try to slow it down better for you next time.)[8D]
Old 03-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Greg/H, I sure hope you don't end up in another snow bank any time soon. You might have to call a tow truck this time.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Greg/H, I sure hope you don't end up in another snow bank any time soon. You might have to call a tow truck this time.
Na.. my posts are done in no harm JM. I'd still help another man out. Even if it were Greg with an H.

Quick Reply: When is PEAK generally?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.