Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What are the chances of..........

Old 03-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What are the chances of..........

w00t!!

30" mods are at the shop. I'm leaving work in a few minutes to pick them up. Plans are to come home tonight and finish making my 3D arrows for this year, get the draw mods in the bow, and get a good rough tune on it. Tomorrow I head to Dan's place (jawshooter) to get the right sight tape on the bow, and get it dialed in out to 80 yards. I'll have a few other nights this week to shoot and play with it, and then this weekend is my first outdoor 3D.

I can't wait!! I'll post more thoughts tonight after shooting it a bit more.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Dominant Buck

80 yd 3D???[8D]

You guys are GOOD!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

80 yd 3D???[8D]

You guys are GOOD!
Our local 3D organization has 55 yards for open class and sometimes sneaks them out to 60 yards.A few of our local shoots alsowill have a novelty 31st target at the end of a course that can be anywhere from 60-80 yards. It's usually bonus points for your score, or you can put in some money and win a progressive pot. Last year we saw it twice, a 67 yard gator and a 68ish yard block with a field target face on it. It's nice to be prepared for this sort of thing......[8D].

The club that I'm planning to join near the new house also has a field archery course and a league that starts in May on Monday nights. I'll likely join this year and just shoot my 3D rig and look at it as 3D practice. That's out to 80 yards and lots of fun.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I've got this thing dialed in 100% now. I've got a sight tape that holds true out to 60 yards on it now, and it really stacks them in there if I'm doing my part. I'm anxious to test the sight tape out to 80 yards now.

Right now I'm getting 304fps at 30", 59lbs, and with a 314 grain Pro 22. This is about 14fps faster than my old Apex with nearly the same specs.

I've been using 53-55lbs since last 3D season, so I'm still getting used to pulling more weight and I anticipate cranking the bow up to 62lbs as soon as I feel I can draw it withsmooth dynamic back tension at that weight. I'm pretty sure I can get another 8-10fps by doing this and then it's really going to be smoking at 310-315 fps.

Dan and I are headed out tomorrow to shoot two seperate 3D shoots, our first of the year. I shot a 28 target indoor 3D course today that goes out to 33ish yards and counting center 12's I ended up with a 300 (20 points up). The lighting was also terrible in there and they do some awful things to play this as well such as a 32ish yard standing black bear up tight against a black wall with poor light....lol.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Matt, when you going to be at camp and venture down to experience our little favorite indoor course. Next weekend has an awesome outdoor course open. Weather permitting.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

So tonight I really got a chance to see what happens when I creep with this thing. I've got the draw stop peg in a fairly aggressive spot giving me a bit more holding weight to keep me honest, and tonight I caught myself collapsing on a shot because of it. I ended up hitting about 1" high at 30 yards. That is about the same as a well creep tuned dually and I'm fairly happy with that. I intentionally creeped on several shots after this out of curiosity and each of the shots did the same thing. Now I also have my nock points tied in so that my loop has my release pulling directly behind the nock and the bow is tiller tuned well, so I'm not sure if this is affecting it or not. As far as I can tell though this bow is creep tuned as well as any dual cam I've ever owned, and thats a nice peace of mind for the hard up/downhill shots we have on the 3D courses around here.