Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck's home range....Greg's post got me thinking...

Old 03-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Buck's home range....Greg's post got me thinking...

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

LOL.....Gary....I thought long and hard and just don't know. But I know from the thousands of photos I have that the same deer can look different according to how the light's hitting him.

Doesn't much matter. I actually hope they are different.
Jeff that is Tony, not me. He just enjoys looking at my buff body[:-]

I agree with Tony, differnet deer
Confession is good for the soul [:'(]
Old 03-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Gregh that is a great point, and why it is good idea to whack that olddoe. I did see a lot of one in what has been one of my best buck spots.
Brings up another topic....and I'll start a new post(Mature Does)
Old 03-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Greg did you read the article I cited? I'm not disagreeing with you.....at all. But the article stated that juvenile bucks are REAL travelers until they reach 3.5yrs. I think they stated they may roam 12-14 miles as their "home range" until they reach "maturity".

That's why I posed the question I did. If one of these 25 yr olds likes the digs I have......maybe he'll be settin' up shop, there (hopefully). Might make it a yr in which I watch a few and never reach for the bow.

Who KNOWS?.....lol
Yes, I read that article (and a lot of other D&DH articles over the last 20 years).

The doe is the one that disperses the buck (kicks it out), however, if the doe is killed, he'll usually stay. This was in another article. Bucks that are dispersed by there mothers will move until they find a place where they are accepted or at least not harassed too badly.

Remember, deer are like people, if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, some will move some won't.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:35 AM

I feel that there are cruiser bucks that never have a defined home range these are the ones that when somebody shoots them they say that it's never been seen on there land/area before. We have buck that have there core area but every year i will see a different buck come through one day and may find him several miles away these are not 2.5 year olds these are truly mature bucks 5.5+.

jeff those do look like different deer i find it hard to belive that if one antler is laging that much behind the other side it would be tough to catch up the second pic looks pretty close to the same.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: oakcreek

I feel that there are cruiser bucks that never have a defined home range these are the ones that when somebody shoots them they say that it's never been seen on there land/area before. We have buck that have there core area but every year i will see a different buck come through one day and may find him several miles away these are not 2.5 year olds these are truly mature bucks 5.5+.

jeff those do look like different deer i find it hard to belive that if one antler is laging that much behind the other side it would be tough to catch up the second pic looks pretty close to the same.
I like cruiser bucks, I have some theories on them but no evidence to support any of them.

One of my theories is that cruiser bucks are usually between 3 1/2 and 5 1/2. These bucks are displaced by larger more dominant bucks and are looking for a place to call home.

also

Sometimes not much is happening in a dominent bucks area (2nd rut) and he impatiently cruises out of his normal area in search of love.

I believe this is why I see some of the largest bucks of the season during this time.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I'm a very very frim believer that an area that holds mature bucks will likely always hold mature deer. It's not necessarily like the two deer that you killed just found a random spot to call home. There was something that attracted them to the area whether it be the food, the terrain, the bedding area, the seclusion... whatever. If it's a place that "deer" like, they will continue to "like" it until something changes.

The spot where I killed my deer this year is no different, 10 minutes before my deer fell over dead, I had another 140" deer withing 45 yards. Then a month later my co-worker killed a buck that scored 127" about 40 yards from my treestand. Again there is something about this area that these bucks like, and will continue to like through the years.

I don't think you have any worries.

Another thought is this... Let's call your deer 3.5 years old. There's no telling how many 2.5 or 3.5 yr old deer he ran out of that particular area. Now that he's gone those deer can return to that area where that dominant buck is no longer living. So this coming fall, you could have that 2.5 or 3.5 from last year that will be either a 3.5 or 4.5 this year.

**Edit** - sorry I started my post and didn't realize you were already discussing this.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

I
It's my theory that I'm likely due for a "lapse" (if you can imagine) in mature buck sightings for possibly a year or more......or until one of the juveniles establishes himself in this area.

What say ye?
[/quote] I think a good buck will take over the area because it has something they like,cover close to a food source.They need security to feel at ease,along with no pressure.There is something there they like.