Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck's home range....Greg's post got me thinking...

Old 03-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Buck's home range....Greg's post got me thinking...

Only problem is.....they're hunting WITH me on land they have no right to be on. If they'd shoot everything that walks on their ONE ACRE.....all would be well with the world.
man that sucks!
so you cant really even manage your land to hunt, because theyll end up shooting your deer.
have you called in on them?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

I think that's a different deer, looking at the white ... the second buck has alot more white ....IMO
dont your hair get whiter, the older you get??[:-]

I believe they are the same...
Old 03-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Dominant Buck

LOL.....Gary....I thought long and hard and just don't know. But I know from the thousands of photos I have that the same deer can look different according to how the light's hitting him.

Doesn't much matter. I actually hope they are different.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Dominant Buck

so you cant really even manage your land to hunt, because theyll end up shooting your deer.
have you called in on them?
No I can't and yes I have. I have to let it go. I've done all I can do.

That land has been good to me. I'm done complaining about things I can't control.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

LOL.....Gary....I thought long and hard and just don't know. But I know from the thousands of photos I have that the same deer can look different according to how the light's hitting him.

Doesn't much matter. I actually hope they are different.
Jeff that is Tony, not me. He just enjoys looking at my buff body[:-]

I agree with Tony, differnet deer
Site Buck Guru

Another thing you have to watch for is that a mature doe may wish to take the area over. This is what I was talking about with bucks/does cycling core areas. Does usually take over areas that are more conducive to rearing fawns. I've seen it go both ways, does taking over or another mature buck taking over. Only time will tell.

Sometimes if you kill the doe that has a buck fawn, the buck will remain in the area.
Bartender

Yes I believe you will have a new one take up residents but once the Rut kicks in all bets are off and you should have plenty of mature bucks
cruising through with the amount of doe's you have.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ya thats true, it looks like youve had a lot of success! i hope the whole situation gets better for you though
Old 03-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

Another thing you have to watch for is that a mature doe may wish to take the area over. This is what I was talking about with bucks/does cycling core areas. Does usually take over areas that are more conducive to rearing fawns. I've seen it go both ways, does taking over or another mature buck taking over. Only time will tell.

Sometimes if you kill the doe that has a buck fawn, the buck will remain in the area.
Gregh that is a great point, and why it is good idea to whack that olddoe. I did see a lot of one in what has been one of my best buck spots.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Greg did you read the article I cited? I'm not disagreeing with you.....at all. But the article stated that juvenile bucks are REAL travelers until they reach 3.5yrs. I think they stated they may roam 12-14 miles as their "home range" until they reach "maturity".

That's why I posed the question I did. If one of these 25 yr olds likes the digs I have......maybe he'll be settin' up shop, there (hopefully). Might make it a yr in which I watch a few and never reach for the bow.

Who KNOWS?.....lol

Quick Reply: Buck's home range....Greg's post got me thinking...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.