Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck's home range....Greg's post got me thinking...

Old 03-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Buck's home range....Greg's post got me thinking...

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I'm thinking you probably have other mature bucks there but just don't know it. Just because they aren't on camera doesn't mean there not there.
Bingo!

scout scout scout scout ...... there probably is an evenbigger one in the area .... plus all the 1 1/3 year olds will be 2 1/2 ... the 2 1/2's will be 3 1/2 ......
Old 03-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

It has been my experiance that when you take a mature buck out, the next in line will take over his range.
The best range goes to the "best" deer in that area.

Even when I kill a a buck, those spots next year are pretty good. I may have to move them a bit. If you have a great location A mature buck will be there. A great mature buck spot will "Lure" them there.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I'm thinking you probably have other mature bucks there but just don't know it. Just because they aren't on camera doesn't mean there not there.
Agreed 100% there are deer that go unseen. And the fact that you have so many does will bring more bucks around(even if it is not til the rut), if you know the does are there the bucks will know it too. Keep in mind theyounger bucks might surprise you this spring/summer with antler development.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

It's hard to argue something that's unproveable (mor ebucks in there that I haven't seen). But...I hope you guys are right.

Yes GR8.....I had one more 3.5yr old that I caught on game cam last year. He'll be a good deer this year. He's numero uno on the menu, now.

I'll tryto drum up a photo of him.
Jeff....you've read the articles .... watched the shows ....seen the posts .....the biggest bucks MANY times have never been seen by ANYONE on the property that hunt it .... it happens ALL the time ...
Old 03-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Here he is.....first photo is one in which I thought he was a funky racked guy. Second photo shows a remarkable recovery.....if we all agree it's the same deer. Only thing that throws me off is the brows.

For the record, though.....I saw from stand at least 17 different 1.5yr olds in '06. I saw ZERO 2.5yr olds in '07. ZERO 3.5yr olds.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:01 AM

I've got to believe that if an area is good enough for one buck to call "home", it's good enough for a reason. And, since deer seek out the same environs, I would simply have to believe that once the buck of those woods is gone, another one will move in. It's obviously got what they are looking for, or the other 2 wouldn't have been there in the first place. Besides, all those does are obviously having fawns, and obviously some of those fawns are bucks.....I would say, w/out question, another one will indeed make that home.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ya i think hes the same deer, but for the seeing zero of the deer a year later, is it because your neighbors are shooting the young bucks?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I can't control my neighbors.....and I've decided I'll go crazy if I worry about them.

I'd say they're shooting everything that walks....and I have to be content to hunt where I can for what they miss or scare off.

Only problem is.....they're hunting WITH me on land they have no right to be on. If they'd shoot everything that walks on their ONE ACRE.....all would be well with the world.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think that's a different deer, looking at the white ... the second buck has alot more white ....IMO
Old 03-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I doubt very seriously those are the same Deer.

Dan

Quick Reply: Buck's home range....Greg's post got me thinking...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.