Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Update on infected leg doe

Old 03-07-2008, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Update on infected leg doe

If anyone remembers, I asked what you would do regarding a doe I have living here that had a terribly infected rear left leg. Well, after a call to the game warden and showing him pictures he said to take her out by any means necessary. I sighted in the old .270 Weatherby, sat the comfy chair by the window and waited Texas style for her to come back to the corn across the pondI saw her a couple of times but was never able to get a shot at her. I also noticed that her body weight was picking back up and she was starting to get around better. The foot on the leg has since fallen off but she is back with a group of deer, feeding, and she doesn't look all that bad. So, I think she might actually recover from this. So, I have put the rifle away and am hoping to see how she progresses.

I just thought it was interesting and another example of how amazingly tough these critters are. Also makes me think about how weak I am. Can you imagine your foot literally rotting off your leg and just going on as best you can? Awesome.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Update on infected leg doe

That's good to hear...
Old 03-07-2008, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

[blockquote]
quote:

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Many a deer live on 3 legs. If itlives from the infection, it may just be fine. I haven't seen it, you have.

If it has any chance of recovery, I'd have to let nature run it's course.

[/blockquote]

Huntingson:
It is clear that the infection is up into the hip area as well as it is all shrunken in and shrivelled up. My father is a physician and his opinion was that the bone got infected and it is spreading through her body now. He said that they couldn't save a human with all modern medicine at this point. Obviously, that is just an opinion based off of a picture and not an examination.

Yeah I remember it well! Glad to hear!
Old 03-07-2008, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jim .... thanks for the update! That was quite a thread ...got everyone thinking .... this post really makes me comfortable with letting nature take its course, and also to talk to the GW when ANY situation like that comes up ....
Old 03-07-2008, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is literally the most amazing thing I have seen in nature. The game warden, a wildlife biologist friend of mine, my father, and I all thought 100% that she was a definite gonner from infection. That'll teach us!

Nature is amazing.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the update. That's amazing to hear. Hope she makes it.
Whitetail sure are tough animals!
Old 03-07-2008, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also have learned a good thing... we must not have too many coyotes around anymore