Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you shoot a B&C with a gun?

Old 03-07-2008, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you shoot a B&C with a gun?

without question yes, if its a shotgun or muzzleloader
Old 03-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some of you who answered no, well....hunting the deer with a rifle wasn't the question, shooting it was.I'm assuming you are already rifle hunting, and then you get the chance at the B&C, you still don't shoot??? I would shoot, no question about it. Those that don't gun hunt at all, more power to you, but I just can't sit at home knowing that its deer season.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started bow hunting to get more time in the woods than rifle season allowed, and yes I would. Mostshot opportunitieswhere I hunt are within 30 yards, so you still have to get that mature buck into close range. Would I take as much pride in a buck I shot with a rifle as one I got with a bow? Probably not, butthat would depend on the situation.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:23 AM

To answer the original question I would shoot a any large deer in a heartbeat with my slug gun. I am an opportunistic deer hunter. I will use whatever the legal weapon of the season is to try to meet my goals. In the past 10 years 8 bucks were taken with a bow and 2 with a gun. Those gun deer mean every bit as much to me as the others. I don't think I honor the deer more with an arrow opposed to a slug. They both put a large hole through the vitals and get the job done, what I have found with myself is I still wait for that close range shot opportunity(inside of 40yds) with my shotgun and get a similar thrill. Hunting with a bow is my favorite method but I love the total aspect of deer hunting more than any single method. I started as a gun only hunter, switched to a traditional archery purist, and now love to hunt using all methods. I am happier now than ever.

Tom
Old 03-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's not likely that I will ever be faced with the decision, but yes I would, without hesitation.
I should also point out that most likely anybig game gun hunting I do in the future will be with a handgun. They are awesome to hunt with.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

My answer, In the lyrics of "Saliva": click click BOOM

Chances are slim that I'd be in the woods with a rifle unless I was on a "Jerky Hunt" but you better believe if he's inside of 400, he's gettin' smoked.

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Is this even a question?? Yep I'd smoke'em with Center-Fire rifle, Muzzleloading Rifle, Bow ... I'd hittem with frigging tidily winks if they'd let me!
ROFL, thanks Gr8... I needed that.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:02 PM

No hesitation in a heartbeat. I personally dont believe that if it is taken with a rifle it is any less of a trophy.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:08 PM

If I was hunting deer with a rifle then yep I would, but that doesn't happen too often and it's always a percussion or flintlock rifle if it's not my bow.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt with a rifle and a shotgun, so yes if I were so fortunate to see a B&C class animal and that was the weapon I had in my hand I'd use it. I'd also be just as proud to put him on my wall as if I took him with a bow. I prefer bowhunting, but I still gun hunt and enjoy it.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I enjoy deer hunting. Most of my time in the woods, is with a bow andI like that thebest, but I also enjoy the muzzleloader. I will hunt with a shot gun or a rifle occasionally but not very often. I really prefer the "Up Close" hunting the bow requires.

Quick Reply: Would you shoot a B&C with a gun?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.