Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you shoot a B&C with a gun?

Old 03-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you shoot a B&C with a gun?

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Yes I would. I hunt with bow, rifle, and muzzleloader. That way I can keep hunting regardless of the season. I love the challenge of bow hunting and tell people that I rifle hunt to get even with all the deer that walked by me just out of bow range.
I take equal pride in every deer I take with any weapon. I guess I just love to hunt!
amen to that!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

AbsolutelyI would hunt him with a rifle. I like to bow hunt more than I like to rifle hunt but I hunt with all kinds of hunting tools.

But I gotta ask...
And it got me doing that thing again (thinking) and... I refuse to shoot a B&C with a gun. No elitism here because I'm yet veryinexperienced all things considered. Of courseI intend no offense or disrespect to anyone or their preference because we all have our own set of standards we live and in this case, hunt by. I just feel like I'd be doingthe B&Cwrong if I killed him with a gun. If I can't get him with my bow, I don't want him on my wall. It is a standard I feel a B&C is worthy of.
Why would you feel this way? Are does and bucks with less inches of bone less worthy of your standards? Is a 6 year old doe less worthy than a 6 year old buck? Or a 6 year old buck with lesser bone on his head less worthy than a 6 year old buck just because it has more bone on its head.

What if you were hunting in South Florida where you will likely never see a buck that meets P&Y let alone B&C. Would these bucks be less worthy than bucks from Iowa and be gun eligible?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

hmmm, I liken it to not kicking someone in the nads in a fight, or bringing out the finest tableware for a truly special guest, or being buried in a pine casket -vs- a fine one. Yeah I know, odd analogies but it's all I can think of. Ibelieve I personally just respect the big ol' mature B&C buck too much to give him anything less than the arrow that I think is more worthy.

It's all relative I suppose but I think he (the buck) would die more honorably by arrow than a sniper's bullet. Then of course more and more honor comes with spear, then rock, then fist, all of which are just my opinion.LOL,I think I'm starting to go off-topic on my own topic.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls
Why would you feel this way? Are does and bucks with less inches of bone less worthy of your standards? Is a 6 year old doe less worthy than a 6 year old buck? Or a 6 year old buck with lesser bone on his head less worthy than a 6 year old buck just because it has more bone on its head.
To answer all of your questions above... Is a 4x7 more or lesswall-worthy than a 5x5? To me it's less because it's not as symmetrical. It's still just my opinion.

Is Jessica Alba more pretty than Britney Spears in her prime. I think so but that's still just my opinion.

What if you were hunting in South Florida where you will likely never see a buck that meets P&Y let alone B&C. Would these bucks be less worthy than bucks from Iowa and be gun eligible?
Nope not at all, you're talking Granny Smith to Golden Delicious.

A Golden Delicous that yields sweeter juice is better to eat FOR ME than a Golden Delicioius that yields juice that's not as sweet.

But that's just my opinion, you can eat whichever apple you choose if it's good to you. I'm not saying mine is better than yours 'cause there's no way for me to know how yours tastes to you. I can only go by what I like moreor less.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: xXxrory7xXx

ORIGINAL: shed33

I dont know, not to many b/c qualifying bucks running around these mountains.. a rarity like that here, public lands.. I think i'd do everything I could to kill him bowhunting.. especially if he was a typical, since we've never had a typical B/C buck killed with a bow here in this state.. it would be a new state record. Our current typical record is 168 and change.. net.. missing boone by a couple inches..
where are you from?
Idaho

Old 03-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I respect everyone's opinions and wishes as to how they wish to hunt.Personally I am an every season hunter and use bow,rifle and muzzleloader every year to hunt with.Killing a mature buck is not easy regardless of what weapon you are hunting with.I would absolutely kill a B&C buck with a rifle and be darn happy and proud of it.I do a lot of still hunting and sneak hunting in thick woods,how easy do you think it is to walk up on a mature whitetail of the B&C variety?
I am giong to take that animal with any legal means I can.In the perfect world for maximum satisfaction I would put a broadhead through his lungs and watch him fall from a tree stand I was hunting out of.Sneaking up on him and shooting him with a rifle while he was bedded would be a very close second though!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, before anyone else gets on my case, this is how I see it:

Yes, with another analogy:

I giveww2 Veterans more respectthan some kid complaining about how life sucks because he can't find a better job. The old and the wise get more of my respect. It's a similar principle with the animal kingdom.

That's it, that's all of it,don't complicate it.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Is Jessica Alba more pretty than Britney Spears in her prime.
Yeah but is Jessica worthy of filet minjonand lobster tailand Brittney only worthy of sirloin and shrimp?

The WW2 vet and the punk is a little different than a buck with all of the genetics and food to growmore than enough bone to make B&Cvs another buck equally as old and smart that may only live 50 miles away where the genetics aren't as good and the available food isn't as rich in the needed nutrients and therefore can only grow a sub B&C rack.

BTW, I'm not geting on your case just arguing a different point. It's teh off season and nothing better to do right now.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

In response to the question I would shoot a B&C buck with a rifle. I am also a multiple weapons hunter(bow, rifle, shotgun, and blackpowder) so I think that using any weapon to end the life of an animal is ok as long as it is done legally andwith great respect to the animal.
I deeply respect that you have a set of values that you cling to wholeheartedly and God bless you for that. Your heart is in the correct place and more people should follow your example!
Old 03-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

I feel the same as you. I have absolutely no desire to hunt big game with a firearm, regardless of its size.
Ditto here!! I never have and never plan on it. it's just not my thing.

Dan

Quick Reply: Would you shoot a B&C with a gun?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.