Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone studying the deer where they hunt?

Old 03-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone studying the deer where they hunt?

What I like is finding the most prefered trails going in and out of bedding areas. At this time of year, with the deep snow, they are very evident. Also, it is easier to spot bedding areas. The thickest, nastiest stuff is obvious. Imagine how thick it will be in the summer!
The key word is "now". Things could obviously change come fall. Right about now, I like to get some fall food sources such as autumn olive, oakand apples trees pruned, fertilized, and limed if needed. Also a good time to put some funnels in place if needed.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have been scouting 24/7 since the season ended with trail cams...and i have walked around scouting also.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

What I like is finding the most prefered trails going in and out of bedding areas. At this time of year, with the deep snow, they are very evident. Also, it is easier to spot bedding areas. The thickest, nastiest stuff is obvious. Imagine how thick it will be in the summer!
The key word is "now". Things could obviously change come fall. Right about now, I like to get some fall food sources such as autumn olive, oakand apples trees pruned, fertilized, and limed if needed. Also a good time to put some funnels in place if needed.
From my experience, bedding areas rarely change. Especially when the deer are subjected to human pressure. They will head to the thickest, most secure area to hide out. Now is the time to locate them.

Also, since I hunt farm country, I don't mess with food sources that much. The abundance of food is enormous. You have to keep tabs on what the hottest thing going is because it seems that the deer cycle them on a 7-10 day basis.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been out about a dozen times since the season ended. Great time of year to get out and see into the thick stuff a little better. The feeding patterns do changebetween the late seaon and early bow season where we hunt, so not all active paths now, will still be hot come September. But bedding areas really dont change up that much on most of the properties I hunt as there are usuallyonly a fewlocations where its really thick, hard to get into,and offers them various access routes to different food recourses and safe escape routes. Good post Greg
Old 03-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I appreciate the SOLID info, though. The reason I asked the question RE: the size of the parcels you were referencing is due to the new land I acquired. I am going in there a bit "lost". unchartered waters, so to speak.

Thanks for the advice.
I thought you were asking JMbuckhunter the size of his new place.

My spots range from 15 acres to about 320+.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Dominant Buck

From my experience, bedding areas rarely change. Especially when the deer are subjected to human pressure. They will head to the thickest, most secure area to hide out. Now is the time to locate them.

Also, since I hunt farm country, I don't mess with food sources that much. The abundance of food is enormous. You have to keep tabs on what the hottest thing going is because it seems that the deer cycle them on a 7-10 day basis.
GOSPEL

I thought you were asking JMbuckhunter the size of his new place.

My spots range from 15 acres to about 320+.

And so do mine....................................now
Old 03-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I went through my one areas bedding area yesterday..something I only do once or twice in shed season (no luck). But Man the droppings and casual rubs amaze me everytime in there! Found a great ambush place for a stand. Entry and exit to and from the stand is gonna be iffy. Gonna be a "special" "everything right" rut stand.

Didn't see any deer (which is OK)

Saw a beautiful Ringneck Pheasant with really long tail feathers feeding on a field edge.
Saw 8 Turkey
and Jumped 2 rabbits

And I got the bejesus scared out of me..walking along head kinda down browsing tracks and looking for sheds. Look up a couple feet away is a dead beagle Big one too..Now the scary part was he was buried under huge rocks just his butt and back paws sticking out. The boulders were placed or thrown on him..It was no accident! Probably shot and half buried to hide it. He wasn't dead long either. With the cold I'd say a week give or take.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Also, since I hunt farm country, I don't mess with food sources that much.
And I'm just the opposite. My cabin and landare surrounded by miles of woods which are all huntable. So fall food sources are very important, and if I want to keep them near or on my land, I'd better make sure there is food available for them. I also hunt many different farm areas around my residence, but to tell you the truth, the wooded areas are rather small and they are positioned next toother farms that are private.Travel patterns, bedding areasand funnels don't seem to change all that much from Fall to Fall. But I will say that in the dead of winter (at the farm areas that I hunt), they do tend tobed in the heavy stuff, but during the fall, they'll often bed right in themiddle of open areas or thethick stuff, but not much in between.