Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Be honest....How many of you are "Over-Sighted"?

Old 03-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Bartender

Default RE: Be honest....How many of you are "Over-Sighted"?

Guilty here also and I am pretty level headed guy.
ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I don't even know what a 3rd axis is.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well Jeff I just bought two Copper Johns with third axis, and until I read this thread I did not know or care. I like longer sights, which is why I bought them.

Now that I know, I still do not care Thx for showing me what a door knob I am[&:]
Old 03-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

I have bought a few third axis sights and never tried to set them up because I didn't understand how to. I just bought a new sight and talked myself out of the spothogg hunter hogit and got the real deal instead because I knew I would never set third axis anyway, saved about fifty dollars too and still got a very nice sight.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

To make this assumption, though.....you have to assume I'm not getting my bow into a plumb position on my own
Oh you will on a lot of shots..........but trust me there will be shots where you look at the level and it will be buried........and when you see just how much bow movement back the other direction it takes to bring the bubble back you'll be amazed. All when you thought it was squared.

I'm just trying to give you all the necessary info to help you be the best at this thing as you can be, do with it what you will, butthese are the gimmes. Shooting is tough enough without ignoring the basic principles of archery altogether. This is the stuff that is handed to you that you don't have to worry about your mind or body trying to figure out how to do it.........the info is sitting right in front of your eye already precalculated.
So what if you get your sight level 90 or even 95% of the shots subconciously? If you're willing to possibly give up that small percentage of points that the level by itself can get you, knock yourself out.I'm not willing to give up even 2 points out of 40 targets that I basically threw away because I didn't use every advantage GIVEN to me.
When you get on a steep sidehill course I hope your human laser level is working overtime.
You need to understand that the top level elite Hunter class guys are shooting 18-24x's per round of 40 targetson average on courses like you haven't seen yet. In MBR it's even harder.......We have the best of the best pin shooters hitting 15-20x's per round out to 47yards. You just have to trust me on this one the level matters in competition, especially when you start getting out to the max yardages. It doesn't take much to drill X's on big targets at 25 yards..........it takes every bit of practice and finely tuned equipment to do it on a 42 yard alligator across a sidehill. [:-]

I wish all the guys I shot against did / thoughtthe same, they could start engraving the World Championship Trophy right now.

It's JUST like golf, you want to keep using that cross reference.......you know as well as anyone here that there are a MULTITUDE of details, fine details that make the difference between good and great. Even the most naturally gifted golfers still understand every minute detail of theor equipment and how that equipment relates to every condition on the course. I couldn't tell Bent grass from Bluegrass from a Blueberry pop tart........but there are guys who can.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the 3rd axis on both my hunting sight and Target sight and yes they are properly set just for the reasons Matt has explained.

Once you get the 2nd and 3rd axis set and you can use them with full confidance we'll start to talk about the benifits of the4th axis

Old 03-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have one on my 3-d bow but not on my hunting bow and Iadjust the 3rd axis on BOTH.

So yes,I know what it is and how to set itproperlyand WHY it is important.

If you don't look at your bubble,then the 3rd is an absolute waist of time.BUT,you need to incorporate looking at the bubble into your shot sequence.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2282390

Old 03-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Matt:

I won't argue with you....but I'll tell you in golf there are "feel" players and there are "technical" players. I was the former.

I would find it very difficult to believe that every elite archer was a "technical" archer. I could easily be wrong, though.

I was talking to my barber at lunch. The guy won (his brother has won it, too) the Buckmaster's shoot is one of his customers. Gary (my barber) was asking how much he had to practice to get that good.

Hardly none, he says. He said he shoots enough to keep sharp for hunting. Those guys are shooting targets to 60yds......and some of them are moving.

I'm going to try to incorporate the level into my shots......shooting BB in the basement. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm not naive enough to think it can't help.

I appreciate the advice.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA
Why on earth would you not use the most basic accuracy information sitting right in front of your eyes?[:-]
Good Question!

Dan
Old 03-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Is it against the forum rules to just THINK someone's an *******?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

that is a sweet sight

Quick Reply: Be honest....How many of you are "Over-Sighted"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.