Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Be honest....How many of you are "Over-Sighted"?

Old 03-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Be honest....How many of you are "Over-Sighted"?

I have it on mine... i thought it someting to do with torque-ing the bow, you can set it to compinsate for your torque... IDK???

Sweet site, that will match perfect with your stabilizer.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have it on mine (CJ Dead Nuts 2 Comp). Don't have it set...somewhat know how to set it. From what I hear, there is a decent way and an even better way to set it. I'm familiar with hanging a string and weight off the ceiling, squatting down and drawing back and tilting upwards, lining the sight side of the riser parallel with the string and looking at the level. However, from what I've read on here from I believe TSOC, and Arthur_P, you should have a properly set 4th axis to get a true 3rd axis, and that 3rd axis is best done with a 3rd axis tool that is done OFF the bow (can be done on the bow as well). So I definitiely claim #1, and probably some of #2.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys here is some info from Spott Hog:

Does 3rd Axis Leveling Really Matter?
Since the development of our shooting machine, we have done a tremendous amount of research in the areas of forgiveness and accuracy, and have discovered a lot of useful information.
In the area of accuracy; we’ve discovered that by using a level on our hunting sight we could increase our accuracy. Now, in past years we tried using a level because it made sense, if we could hold our bows at the same angle every time we would get more consistent results. At first, on flat ground, we seemed to be grouping better. Yet, on uphill and downhill shots we continued to get left and right arrows. We quickly realized the level could lie, but why? Freestyle shooters had been using levels as a standard piece of equipment, seemingly, without problems.
So we dug deeper, and discovered 3rd axis leveling. That is; if the level is orientated properly, with respect to the bow and the path of the arrow, then the level is very useful. The standard approach to leveling the 3rd axis was to use a bench mounted leveling fixture, this ensured that the level was perpendicular to the riser. So we decided to try this.
The results: On flat ground we were deadly, however, we continued having trouble with left and right arrows when shooting uphill and downhill. It wasn’t really bad, we just figured our form needed some work. But, as time progressed, we realized working on our form wasn’t fixing the problem.
So, we decided to check it with our shooting machine. We found that, at full draw, there was torque in the bow. This was caused by the pressure exerted on the cable guard and the way the load transfers from the string side to the cable side of the cam, the riser actually twisted in relation to the path of the arrow. Add to this any hand torque and the level is no longer perpendicular to the path of the arrow. Our shooting machine showed us that if the level is not aligned perpendicular to the path of the arrow, at full draw; the level will lie. So, we adjusted the 3rd axis, at full draw, and found our level had become a very valuable tool. Those bothersome left and right arrows were no longer trouble on the uphill and downhill shots. Yeah, we still miss a lot, but at least we know the level is truthful.
We also discovered why freestyle shooters don’t seem to have the same problems with the 3rd axis. Now don’t get me wrong, they still have to level their 3rd axis. However, the equipment they use, by design, naturally stores less energy and therefore has less torque; a longer axle to axle bow and larger brace height puts less pressure on the cable guard (which helps the torque factor), along with cams that don’t have such an extreme change of loading from the string side to the cable side of the cam (resulting in less limb torque). Bowhunting equipment stores more energy and has more natural torque (by design).
In conclusion: we found that if the 3rd axis of the level is adjusted properly, at full draw, which takes into account the torque of the bow, then the accuracy of any bow is greatly enhanced. Try it, you’ll like it!
Good Shooting!

Old 03-06-2008, 02:19 PM

I just purchased a 3rd axis adjustable sight what....a month ago I guess. I'm still learning how, and I've messed with it. Truly, having it set correctly does make a difference.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Dominant Buck

My next question is better suited for another thread.....I think.....

Screw it...I'll ask it here.

IF you (and I'm telling on myself, again) don't use your level anyway (competition)......what difference would it make if your 3rd axis was set or not.

I use my level OCCASIONALLY when I'm practicing. When I shoot targets.....I check it every 5th or 6th shot.

Am I or am I not shooting a "bit" instinctively.....in regards to the 3rd axis....if I'm not using my level, anyways (on uphill/downhill shots)?

Old 03-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have 3rd axis adjustment on both sites I have, and had it set on both as well. I haven't noticed a change in my shooting or scores one way or the other since putting it on, so I'm guessing I'm not a good enough shot for it to make a difference.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Not me. It won't work in my woods. LOL I don't shoot 3D, spots, dots or any of that. If it has brown hair I'll shoot it maybe. I shot competitively many years ago but even then I used my hunting rig and arrows to tune up for hunting. Nope, I don't have a third axis... although my Spott Hogg does have a level.LOL I glance it it occasionally while practicing just to make sure the bow isn't canted.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

IF you (and I'm telling on myself, again) don't use your level anyway (competition)......what difference would it make if your 3rd axis was set or not
You don't use your level at all in competition?
LOL
Do you realize that's the equivalent of having abow who's sights are offslightly one way or the other on sidehill shots? In other words if you are off say a full bubble, don't pay any attention to it and make a perfect shot youprobably won't hit thehit the X ring.You just wasted that effort to only get as close as yourcant would allow.
A miss to one direction that could have been a solid10 might now very well be a big fat 8 only because your cant helped it that way even further.

USE YOUR LEVELS and trust that if you shot one way or the other it was because YOU shot it there, not because you didn't bother to square up your bow. Why on earth would you not use the most basic accuracy information sitting right in front of your eyes?[:-]

Old 03-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey Matt......I never claimed my way was "right"....I'm just being honest. I rarely use my sight level....and I never use it when I'm shooting 3D. I know I should.

But....if I'm not using it.....is there a chance I'm compensating pseudo instinctively? How else could I compensate? I'm hitting a lot of what Im aiming at (3D).

Do you realize that's the equivalent of having abow who's sights are offslightly one way or the other on sidehill shots?
To make this assumption, though.....you have to assume I'm not getting my bow into a plumb position on my own.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Site Bouncer

I know how it's adjusted and the theory behind a 3rd(even fourth) axis sightbut I liketo keep things as simple as possible and one more adjustment (or two) is just onemore thing to screw with. (pun intended)

Can you shoot better with a properly adjust 3rd axis sight? I suppose so but I've never felt the need nor the inclination to buy one.

Nice looking sight though....little too long for my "hunting only"tastes but cool none the less.(Yes, I know it's for a target bow.)

Quick Reply: Be honest....How many of you are "Over-Sighted"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.