Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Corrective Bowsights for poor vision?

Old 03-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Corrective Bowsights for poor vision?

Bgfisher and oldreloader, When you buy reading glasses what level of magnification do you get....1.25, 1.50 or 1.75?
Old 03-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone else use these verifiers?
Old 03-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Geronimo

Bgfisher and oldreloader, When you buy reading glasses what level of magnification do you get....1.25, 1.50 or 1.75?
My regular glasses are carrying a +2.00, but I'm about to go to a +2.250. I can get alng with a +1.75 working on the computer.

When I got my Verifier lens a few years ago the lowest diopter was a #6. It was still a little too much. I haven't used it for a couple years and my eyes have changed (for the worse) so now it might work now. I just got a new bow a couple days ago so now I can try it out.

Another reason it didn't work so well is that I got the Super Hunter model because that's the only peep that handled the 1/4" lens and it has an angle of 37 degrees which was too acute for my string angle. Again, I now have a bow that is shorter so it might work. If it doesn't then I'll get the hooded Ball Peep with a 42 degree angle and try that.

This is why I say that you need to try these things at a shop. The peeps themselves come in 45, 42, and 37 degree angles. Depending on your draw length and A2A of the bow you have to choose the right peep angle. With something like a 29" draw and short bow you may need one with a sharper angle so it's perpendicular to your eye at full draw.

I hope this is clear to you. I'm trying to give you information you can use so you look at all your options.

Barry
Old 03-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Rob,

What size is your Verifier? if and when you need a #6 maybe we could swap. I think I need a #5, but it wasn't available when I got mine. I have the 1/4" model.

For those who need more info try www.specialtyarch.com. There's so much stuff o there it will boggle the mind/ Two different size ball peeps, different colors, different angle for short or long bows, hooded or non. There's even a model that uses the dreaded rubber tube aligner.

This is the model I have with the Verifier lens. It's all that was available in 1/4" when I got mine so I just cut the attachment nipple off and use it wihout a tube. This peep is plastic whereas all the others are aluminum.
I have both a 1/8" and a 1/4" . I had owned a Super Peep that must not be available anymore. This is where I have the 1/8" verifier.

I have this peep now since I had ordered the 1/4" and it didn't fit my original Super Peep. But like Matt / PA says, the verifier is actuall 3/16" because it screws into the 1/4" adapter that fits in the Super Ball Peep.

Here is the link to the Peep: http://www.specialtyarch.com/peeps.asp

And the verifiers: http://www.specialtyarch.com/verifiers.asp
You could possibly be right. The lens itself very well may be 3/16". I never actually measured it. I just knew, after trying the 1/8" that I needed something bigger to pass more light through.

I don't know how old your eyes are or how bad your eyes are, but for several years now I've been looking through my peep and seeing 3 fiber optic dots per pin. One is where it should be. Then there are two others (halo). One at 4 o'clock and one at 7 o'clock. Couple that with astigmatism and I get some really ugly shots on a 3D target once in a while. Like I'll aim really well and make a good shot at 28 yards and the arrow hits 6-8" to the left.

My distance vision isn't really all that bad. 20/40 in my aiming eye, but I think the astigmatism is what gets me the most. I can judge distance pretty well. Rarely more than 2 yards off, but I just can't see to aim.

And there's always that disturbing fact of trying to shoot a Vegas face with a green pin. It just doesn't happen, but I think even good eyes have problems with that. I starting to think about getting a lens for myHoggitt (spelling) sight and use a ring in it. Just trying to figure out what size ring would work for 3D. Maybe something that encompasses about 4" at 20 yards.

Sorry to get off topic some, but it might lead others to find a setup that works.

Barry
Old 03-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

BGfisher, I have a 2008 Martin Cheetah with a 26" draw length. Yesterday. I talked to Specialty Archery and they suggested the #5 verifier since my reading glasses are 1.50. The only peep thatverifier would fit was the 1/4" hooded 42 degree angled peep. Do you think this will work with my setup?
Old 03-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Geronimo, that's what I'm using, a #5 1/4" Hooded Super Peep, I think you'll like the setup!
Old 03-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool.....