Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Celebrities - your thoughts?

Old 03-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Celebrities - your thoughts?

Fran I think it is all about WHO you no not WHAT. Some of these guys go from outfitter to outfitter never hang a stand, never even scout the place just go out there where the outfitter puts them and shoot what ever comes there way. This is great advertising for the outfitter but teaches us (the watching population) nothing about hunting. It only tells us which outfitters have deent bucks floating around.So if you never plan to go with an outfitter than the show is useless.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the ones you see are nothing more than talk show hosts, but agree with bruce - Jim Shockey is not one of those. Plus, he's funny as $^**. Read some of his stuff and try not to laugh.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

So then from the responses I've seen.........

Do you think someone without the ability to own land, lease land or go to outfitters to hunt these prime/unpressured parcels of land.......that you will ever have the credibility of most that we see on TV today?

So then it's really.....How much cash do you have, who do you know rather than what knowledge do you know.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:33 AM

I agree with you on some of them, but I have a Lee and Tiffany video, courtesy of HNI and Scent Lok, and They show a lot about managing food plots and scouting in the off season. So I have to disagree with you there. I would say most of the shows you see on tv are on their land that Lee has farmed since he was a kid. Therefore he knows where the deer are using areas. They work their ass off. I can almost garuntee it.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

i love watching hunting on TV. I do have respect for the guys that hunt on their own land or their own lease, like Lee and Tiffany, and the Drury's hunt a lot on their own farms. Jim Shockey may or may not hunt much of his land but i know he is a great hunter! Stan Potts has what 4 bucks that go over 200 inches and 3 were killed before he became famous?? He obviously earned his way into the industry if you ask me.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

BG - I'm just wondering why more companies/producers don't go out of their way to track down the world's foremost hunting experts and work with THEM to put out a quality television product.

Wouldn't it behoove them to actually have some actual credibility behind their marketing dollars?...as opposed to promoting someone like Vicki Cianciarulo, who probably wouldn't even go hunting ifsome poor intern wasn'tschlepping around the woods, lugging her treestand and dragging her giantdeer out.Brutal honesty.

Under Armour wouldn't blow a wad of advertising dollars on Hannah Montana. She's popular. She's an advertising cashcow - but it just doesn't make sense. Why not use a guy like Tiger Woods or Alex Ovechkin? An elite athlete.

I just don't understand why elite hunters are treated differently. Just makes no sense to me.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

So Quik, which show or hunting celeb trys to pass them self off as being the best hunters in the world?

Some people find a dizty blonde with big boobs entertaining, some folks find big bucks being shot with a rifle over food plots entertaining. Some shows throw little 'info' bits in there. Sometimes it's useful, sometimes it's not. I think if you watch hunting shows to learn something, you're in trouble. Watch them to be entertained, if you're not.. turn the channel.

Let's be honest, it not that hard to hang a treestand where the deer will pass by. If we could hunt on the Kisky farm we'd probably shoot big bucks too. Most of us don't have that farm, the time, the camera crew, the money, the devotionand the connections to have our own show. So we're not celebs. So what. Are you jealous?Are you mad because some people do give the 'celebs' more credit than they should. (that's what it sounds like to me) So then really, your issue is with the sheeplike groupies. and if that's the case go watch an Obama rally. That should really get you going.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

BG - I'm just wondering why more companies/producers don't go out of their way to track down the world's foremost hunting experts and work with THEM to put out a quality television product.

Wouldn't it behoove them to actually have some actual credibility behind their marketing dollars?...as opposed to promoting someone like Vicki Cianciarulo, who probably wouldn't even go hunting ifsome poor intern wasn'tschlepping around the woods, lugging her treestand and dragging her giantdeer out.Brutal honesty.

Under Armour wouldn't blow a wad of advertising dollars on Hannah Montana. She's popular. She's an advertising cashcow - but it just doesn't make sense. Why not use a guy like Tiger Woods or Alex Ovechkin? An elite athlete.

I just don't understand why elite hunters are treated differently. Just makes no sense to me.
You are absolutely right...I definitely agree. I would guess that the REAL best hunters out there would rather go and hunt and be the bestinstead ofputting up with some hokey TV production.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Celebrities - your angle?

If the lens cap was still on you may have to kill someone!
Old 03-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

IAMYOURHUCKLEBERRY, that is a world class hunter from what I have seen around here. Wht doesn't he have a show?

Quick Reply: Hunting Celebrities - your thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.