Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you??

Old 03-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you??

No Not me! I don't care how big the property is.It's fair chase or nothing.For those that have commented that they would do it for the meat or as a shopping trip,to them I say if you do it for any reason you are supporting it and I don't think that that is good for how we are perceived by the non hunting public!
Something that has been interesting for me with my wife and daughter has been the experience that my family has had with my hunting.My wife is a "city girl" and my daughter who is soon to be 12 has no interest in hunting,to say the least.My wife and I are soon to be married 20 years.My girls watch me hunting season after hunting season hunt with archery equipment and rifle,they see the effort that goes in to my preparation practicing,scouting,tree stand preparation,exercising to be fit to roam the mountains,poring over topo maps and aerial photo's.They see the amount of times I head out and come home with out having shot something.A typical year for me is three or four deer shot and probably in the vicinity of 40 hunts per season,so I am successful possibly 1 out of every 10 hunts.Now I am a selective hunter so the numbers are a bit skewed.But none the less they know true hunting is any thing but guaranteed.In fact I know that it has given them an appreciation of the difficulty involved and it has changed their perception of hunting.
As hunters I don't think we want the non hunting public to think it is easy,it makes us look more like slobs,it is not easy and shouldn't be made easier by artificial means.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Dominant Buck

NOPE, and I'd tell them why when they called. It isn't hunting.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

100% no
chris
Old 03-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

Just because you go doesn't mean you'd have to kill something. With that being said, I will lump myself in with the soulless few who just dont get it. I would go, just to go. It would be under no guise of it being a hunt, more like a sight seeing trip. Why in the world would I pass on a opportunity to possibly see world class animals up close and personal? If the mood struck me and I decided I wanted to kill one, I would. If I didn't, you can bet I'd have some awesome video and pics instead. I hunt because I love to hunt and be in the woods and experience everything that goes with it. This would just be another experience I could say I had, good or bad. Feel free to flame this "heathen".
Old 03-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: loogout1

Just because you go doesn't mean you'd have to kill something. With that being said, I will lump myself in with the soulless few who just dont get it. I would go, just to go. It would be under no guise of it being a hunt, more like a sight seeing trip. Why in the world would I pass on a opportunity to possibly see world class animals up close and personal? If the mood struck me and I decided I wanted to kill one, I would. If I didn't, you can bet I'd have some awesome video and pics instead. I hunt because I love to hunt and be in the woods and experience everything that goes with it. This would just be another experience I could say I had, good or bad. Feel free to flame this "heathen".
I couldnt agree more.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't. Just dosen't seem right to me.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Banned

Looks to me like there won't be hardly any members here ever going to Africa to bowhunt. It is damn near all fenced. The size of the fence is the issue for me. 1 acre, no........10,000 acres..hell yea. In Africa they buy and sell their game just like cattle here. Example...you go to the nearby ranch and buy your ranch 25 Gemsbucks, 30 Impalas, etc. It's the way most of it is done. Don't believe me, than you haven't spent any time at a Sportshow and solicited info from African outfitters. You will never see the fence, but it's there. The critters are skittish too as they know the game of death.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:22 PM

I would NEVER hunt any animal in a high fence that is just wrong and it ain't hunting.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

100% garanteed kill rate, fenced hunt??
For me a "hunt" does not equal a garanteed kill. I believe many have alluded to it as a "shopping trip". I'm ok with that. I wouldn't buy a Xmas tree from one of those fenced in tree places either. It sort of flys in the face of tradition. You know, load the kids up in the carand heading into the woods for thatperfect tree-axe and saw in hand...on Sunday after church.

Would I hunt in a high fence? Absolutely, but, of course, it would depend on the animal I was hunting. I have been there done that too many times to know that a fence means nothing to many animals. They go from one side to the other like a hot knife going through butter (I've seen plenty actually come from outside to inside because that's where the food was). I also know that many species of wildlife are very capable of eluding humans on small pieces of ground -fenced or not (e.g. reeves muntjac). So, if the hunt has an extremely large degree of difficulty, I'm going and could care less about the fence. I'm actually off to Texas in May for my eighth attempt at an axis deer with my bow. If it were so easy, I'd already have a buck, right?

So, here's my offer...I am willing to buy your axis deer for you (if you get one), if you are willing to buy mine in return (if I get one).If it's so easy, it'll be a wash, right? When it's over, we'll say we went shopping together.Whatcha say?

Now should we discuss hunting on an island? How big does that need to be before it becomes hunting?
Old 03-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

Huckleberry you are the man. Lets see who steps to that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.