Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ok Turkey Guys!!

Old 03-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ok Turky Guys!!

Last spring was the first time I had gone after Turkey's with any seriousness (and then I only got out two weekends of the PA season). I did manage to call in a nice gobbler, had hens running in between him and I, and all sorts of commotion. It really had my heart going. Never did get him to come in (he followed the hen), but it was a rush. It's also a very nice time to be out in the woods.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Turkeys can be very exciting that is for sure. To me they are different types of exciting. I probably get a little more excited with a turkey coming in, but there is NO comparison to the excitement AFTER the shot. Shooting a big ol buck, generates 10,000x more excitement than popping a turkey.

Now elk, I can't even describe the feeling of one of those bad boys coming it. But hopefully after this fall I'll be able to describe the excitement of actually killing one.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tim, if your not prepared to spend a little cash on calls and some accessories after your hooked, don't do it man...LOL

There really isn't much that compares to a gobbler hammering his way in, especially if you weren't ready for it...it'll make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. It's a different excitment but, it's amazing none the less. I know I watched Matt / PA's gun barrel shaking last spring...

I could barely speak to the camera when I shot my first bow kill gobbler this past spring too, I was a mess.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Tim, if your not prepared to spend a little cash on calls and some accessories after your hooked, don't do it man...LOL

There really isn't much that compares to a gobbler hammering his way in, especially if you weren't ready for it...it'll make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. It's a different excitment but, it's amazing none the less. I know I watched Matt / PA's gun barrel shaking last spring...

I could barely speak to the camera when I shot my first bow kill gobbler this past spring too, I was a mess.
I really dont know what Im doing when it comes to hunting them. I know a good spot where there always was a bunch of Turkeys I may gander out this spring and mess around with the bow and a call. I never called in my life but hell you got to start somewhere!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Dominant Buck

To me.....not even close. Big edge goes to deer hunting.

To me....turkey hunting is a cat/mouse thing....and I am the cat. I think MOTOWN said last year that (buck...I'll say "deer") whitetail hunting was like a cat/mouse game in which we are rarely the cat.

I dont get NEARLY as wound up turkey hunting. Now Rob......lol.....I can attest to his "fervor"![8D]

Maybe the longer I do it.....the mor eit will change. I hope so!

Old 03-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

oh god! when your looking down your gun barrel at a strutting tom, or you can hear him spitting and drumming, or when they gobble when theyre right on top of you and you know its all up to you to seal the deal! its the same rush if not more in some cases!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: xXxrory7xXx

oh god! when your looking down your gun barrel at a strutting tom, or you can hear him spitting and drumming, or when they gobble when theyre right on top of you and you know its all up to you to seal the deal! its the same rush if not more in some cases!
Im gonna use the bow. I assume its the same rush! Probably just harder to get a shot!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: twildasin

ORIGINAL: xXxrory7xXx

Im gonna use the bow. I assume its the same rush! Probably just harder to get a shot!
thats something i have not picked up yet, bowhunting turkeys. i plan to pick it up in the next couple of years though. i would imagine its even more of a rush after the shot! thats in my opinion one of the biggest challenges a hunter can take upon himself
Old 03-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ever since I started bowhunting turkeys (4 years ago) I can honestly say I get more of an adrenaline rush turkey hunting than I ever had on a deer or any other big game animal for that matter. Just something about it.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

It can be much more of a rush if he is gobbling on the way in!!!
Tim, what a treat you are in for man. That first gobbler screaming his head of at 50 yards is really something.

Quick Reply: Ok Turkey Guys!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.