Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pushing the Limits of Archery (pix fixed)

Old 03-04-2008, 05:14 PM

Default RE: Pushing the Limits of Archery (pix fixed)

Most places do have strict restrictions on archery gear including minimum arrow weights. Some have outlawed archery gear for dangerous game altogether but remember that "Africa" is a continent made up of a number of different countries, each with its own laws, customs and game population issues just like each state here.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: tsoc

Those of us who are working most of the day miss all the good stuff!I missed a juicy debate about the need to kill elephants? It is not my thing,none of the African game animals do any thing for me but I understand the country is very beautiful.A good friend is soon to be headed there for the third time.
That penetration is unbelieveable,it would be interesting to feel the hand shock/vibration and hear the shot noise out of that set up.
Ill have to say i agree with you, hunting the animals over there.I really dont see the need and i have never heard of them being eatin although im sure they are. I just know of them being hunt or poached for the tusks. BUT nonetheless it is an amazing feat of archery to take such a big animal with a bow and that makes him some sort of archery god.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Germ

Hey I thought I had some good post[&:]
Me too, damn[:@]
Old 03-04-2008, 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

ORIGINAL: Germ

Hey I thought I had some good post[&:]
Me too, damn[:@]
Actually HCH's was the best I've seen in a while. Ah well, it was off topic.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Banned

Off topic Miller they call me.[8D] I saw Chuck Adamsspeak at the IA Bowhunters ASS banquet a few years back and one of his topics was bowhunting elephants. He said that some African country wanted/hired him to test the ability of archery equipment on an elephant, so that the country could determine as to whether or not they would allow archery in the world of elephant hunting in their country. He said he worked out and worked out on shooting a 100 # Bow(I believe that was the poundage) Anyway, long story short, he advised the country that archery equipment had no business in the game of elephants. He told of his elephant kill and howhim and his trackersalmost got killedby the elephant and the poor performance of his arrow etc.Of course that was years back and he wasn't shooting that PSE.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

The good dentist Ashby says this can't happen.

Great shooting and penetration.
What was the penetration on the Buf's?

Steve

Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow thats nuts. What are the chances of the arrow ending up like that, and staying there(it definately did not drop on the spot!), in the elephant?

I will admit I have never seen elephant rib bones....but I highly doubt the arrow hit one, in or out, on that critter while achieving total penitration.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:44 PM

Thats some outstanding penetration
Old 03-04-2008, 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

Wow thats nuts. What are the chances of the arrow ending up like that, and staying there(it definately did not drop on the spot!), in the elephant?

I will admit I have never seen elephant rib bones....but I highly doubt the arrow hit one, in or out, on that critter while achieving total penitration.
And no else is going to get total penetration if they hit a rib as big around as your forearm, regardless of KE or arrow weight. I'll go out on limb here and speculate that the lighter weight helped. If he indeed "nick" a rib, then in all likelihood the arrow deflected off the bone and kept going.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

And no else is going to get total penetration if they hit a rib as big around as your forearm, regardless of KE or arrow weight. I'll go out on limb here and speculate that the lighter weight helped. If he indeed "nick" a rib, then in all likelihood the arrow deflected off the bone and kept going.
That would be where you are totally wrong there. I have a personal friend who broke an elephants ribs going in and coming out on a complete passthrough. He was shooting over a 900 grain arrow out of a 90 lb bow. He said his KE was in the upper 90's but MOMENTUM was way more important here. The HEAVY arrow is what did it!

Quick Reply: Pushing the Limits of Archery (pix fixed)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.