Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

G5 meta peep users reply within...

Old 03-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: G5 meta peep users reply within...

ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

ORIGINAL: mobow

Second, I'm not a fan of the 1/4"....it's just too gosh darn big.
I agree...i would go with a smaller one as well. I have never had the problems that you are talking about...
X3
Old 03-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK if I am to go with a smaller ID peep, I have one concern and one question before doing so...

Concern: a smaller peep means that I will no longer be able to see my entire pinguard thus can no longer centerit inside the peepas an alignment tactic.

Question: does the next smaller IDG5 meta peep have the same OD as the 1/4"? I guess what I'm asking is whether or not the wall thickness of the peeps will be the same. Because my problem is partiallycaused by the thin wall thickness of the current 1/4" peep, I need the next size down to have a thicker wall or else I'll probably encounter a similar problem even once I make the switch.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

ORIGINAL: mobow

Second, I'm not a fan of the 1/4"....it's just too gosh darn big.
I agree...i would go with a smaller one as well. I have never had the problems that you are talking about...
X3
X4

Dan
Old 03-04-2008, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've seen the problem. Get something different for indoors.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:18 AM
Dominant Buck

When shooting indoors, it's more difficult to see both the inside and outside perimeters of the peep making it harder to center with the pinguard.
I understand this, fully. I shoot the larger G5...and I experience the same issues you do. To ME....going to a smaller peep isn't going to help you. I center my sight housing inside my peep....and it creates a "halo" effect inside my peep when I am at full draw (I can see a "halo" of daylight around the outer rim of my sight pin guard.....inside my peep). In low light conditions.....it becomes harder to discern the "halo". You can be somewhat centered inside the peep.....but be off a little and not be able to tell. That would attribute to the inconsistencies in accuracy.

I understand fully what you are describing. I have issues indoors, as well. I've tried more overhead lighting (basement).....back lighting.....to no avail. I can't recreate "natural" lighting that we get outdoors.

IMO....it's simply a product of our method. You COULD go to a smaller peep.....and center your sight pin inside it. I became much more proficient/accurate when I went away from this method to the one we share, now.

I'd ask....do you get the "halo" effect? It woud depend (not on the size of your peep, necessarily.....but how your peep AND sight housing work together) on your equipment.

Good luck.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:24 AM
Bartender

Jeff ever any issues with a tubeless peep?

I am currently using a tube one and would like to switch.

T
Old 03-04-2008, 06:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Tony:

I stopped using a tubeless peep about 6 mos. into shooting a bow. I don't see the need for one. I WAS having some issues with my D-loop twisting....but I ordered some BCY loop material and actually tied my first D-loop on, Friday night (Shot my best 3D round ever, Sunday.....with my loop and arrow that I fletched).

As long as your D-loop is snug.....and you have it aligned with your peep (and I'm assuming your string has 100 shots or so on it....and it's "trained" itself....or "settled in")....you shouldn't ever have an issue.

Good luck.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL:IMO....it's simply a product of our method. You COULD go to a smaller peep.....and center your sight pin inside it. I became much more proficient/accurate when I went away from this method to the one we share, now.
As I suspected, it's diffraction and nothing short of natural sunlight will help the situation. And yes, I too once shot a smaller peep but found that going with a larger peep that I could more easily center the pinguard inside of (because theyboth appeared close but not exact in size at full draw) made me much more accurate. The only drawback being lowlight conditions.

I'd ask....do you get the "halo" effect? It woud depend (not on the size of your peep, necessarily.....but how your peep AND sight housing work together) on your equipment.

Good luck.
Thanks and no, I do not get the halo effect. We do however, shoot on a nearidentical principle. I cannot see the entire outer rim of my pinguard at full draw. What I actually center inside my peep is 1/32" of the the 1/16" thick orange sticker that traces the outer rim. So when I'm looking through the peep, I see a thin orange circle inside the blue peep. This color contrast works excellent outdoors and I groupwell enoughto get the job doneeven at my max range of 40yds.

But as I mentioned, indoors will produce 4inch groups at 20yds. There's definitely somethingamiss when your outdoor groups at 40 are often timesbetter than your indoor groups at 20. The lighting indoors is about the equivalent of last light conditions in the woods and that's where my concern lies.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Buy a new sight with a fiber optic ring around the guard so you can see it in low light.

Or...

Do what I do. Forget the flippin' guard and center the pin in the peep.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Buy a new sight with a fiber optic ring around the guard so you can see it in low light.
It's not the pinguard that I can't see, it's the peep itself. geeezus, some people and their refusal to read! jk, that might help but a little though it's a good point that I be able to see all of the necessary alignment components as clearly as possible.

Or...

Do what I do. Forget the flippin' guard and center the pin in the peep.
Already did that and said I did that too but found the current method much more accurate. I think Jeff hit the nail, it's just a product of the chosen method.

Maybe it's time to try something like a HindSight.

Quick Reply: G5 meta peep users reply within...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.