Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do we.......

Old 03-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why do we.......

First of all if i have the chance to introduce someone to hunting i will do it for sure!

My question is why are most people so caught up in introducing people to our sport and then turn around and complain about the woods that we hunt in being too crowded? Any thoughts?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why do we.......

Good Question.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

There is nothing more that I love doing more that getting others started in this sport. It's important to me that the new hunters be taught to be good sportsmen, and thats the problem I run into a lot. Most of the guys that I have had problems with in the deer hunting woods were poor sportsmen. The biggest problem is being walked in on. In fact, I bowhunt a woods that is probably 30 acres. I share it with some guys that strictly gun hunt. This year they came in the weekend before gun season, and hung a stand 30 yards from mine, while I was sitting in my stand. When I confronted them about it, they said they didn't know where I was hunting at exactly. When I said "well, you guys parked right behind me, didn't you fuigure I was in here somewhere?" they told me that they fuigured I should have been coming out soon anyways, it was 9:00. Those are the people that I get over crowded with.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

The reason the woods are getting more crowded in a lot of placesis unrestraineddevelopment, skyrocketing lease ratesandloss of hunting land, not more hunters. We are actually losing hunters more rapidly than new ones are coming in.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

You know I've said it before and it may be anunpopular view-point.
I have zero desire to introduce anyone other than my immediate family to hunting. What do I care if the kid down the block hunts.

If he has an intrest and sees me out shooting my bow and asks for help, I'll step right up and do what I can. But I'm not out beating the bush to get folks into it.

Now that being said, sometimes my zest for the sport brings others into it, and thats fine. Case in point, a guy who works for me bought a used bow and wishes to get into it. I've taken him to the bow shop and got it fitted to him. I've taught him the basics of shooting and as the weather changes will help him to learn the proper way, by shooting with him. He even has a desire to hunt and I will, if he becomes profficient, take him with me a few times.

I'm not going to be his full season guide, by any means! But I'll help him all I can.

His desire to get into the sport was because of my Monday morning tales of the weekend.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

We want our kids to take after us. Those are the people I want to be in the woods with me. I live in the country and hunting is every where. Every little piece of land has hunters on it. And they all have done the same thing. I think that someone that has an education in outdoors will turn out allright. As for the woods being over crowded, it's us being greedy. I am, and I can't help it. The fact that someone else is out in the woods with me or the next woods over, I know that that person will effect the deer some way and possibly NOT in my favor. At the same time, I would love for some one I care about to get that big buck instead of me.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think there is WAY too much emphasis put on recruiting new hunters. But this comes from a guy who hunts ridiculously crowded areas.

While I don't actively go out and try to find new hunters, if I know a guy who is interested, but maybe doesn't know where to start, I will certainly help him out and try to teach him and get him on the right path, just because IF he's going to do it, I'd rather see him do it right. There are enough clueless clods out there as it is.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I go out of my way to convince people to quit hunting. LMAOBut, like Rybo - we hunt areas that are practically standing-room-only on opening day. So that's just me looking out for #1, trying to create a little elbow room.

Maybe if I lived somewhere where there were more than enough booners to go around, I might consider recruiting a few shadows. But... I don't, so I don't.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

I go out of my way to convince people to quit hunting. LMAOBut, like Rybo - we hunt areas that are practically standing-room-only on opening day. So that's just me looking out for #1, trying to create a little elbow room.

Maybe if I lived somewhere where there were more than enough booners to go around, I might consider recruiting a few shadows. But... I don't, so I don't.
What a deer horder you are

I work with youth groups trying to get as many people into hunting I can.
Plain and simple, if we do not get more people into hunting, we're going to run out of money. Once we run out, we're done
Old 03-03-2008, 10:13 AM

Splitear you're so right. Ihunt public land and yes sometimes there are more people than I would like but I acceptthe fact that it isPUBLIC land. What I won't accept is the total lack of respect forfellow hunters that I'vewitnessed so many times while hunting. Common courtesy, it's such a simple concept. Why don't some people understand that. Whena fellow hunter whistles or waves to get your attentiontolet you know he's there is it so hard to wave backand then back out and go around or move to an alternate spot.I waved one guy off the other yearat over eighty yards. He looked up and saw me and continued in a straight line right at me.He passed within twenty yards touching every branch and twig with his bare hands as he went thus nullifying all of the hard work I put into being scent free and quiet. I know when I walk in on someone I feel bad and appoligetic for disturbing their hunt. I'm sorryI rambled on but this is a real hot button for me. Ken

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.