Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trophy Quest?

Old 03-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Trophy Quest?

I have eaten my tag for the last three seasons.Buck tag that is, plenty of doe tags have been filled, and my son still shoots what he wants.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: Hunter_59

I don't mind eating tag soup at all! After I started letting the small bucks walk I started "seeing" the big boys. They were there all the time but I would shoot the first buck to walk by and never laid eyes on them. I hunt public ground and have hunted the same spot for several years. I've seen several 150"-170" bucks over the years and due to my working tokill one of them have ate my tag at the end of the season. However, my hunting isdefinately more exciting than it ever was, whether I kill or not!

It seemsthat most of the hunters around me also shoot the first deer to walk by because for the last few years, right when therut kicks in, I have the place to myself. I'm usually the onlyvehicle in the parking lot! I've walked outat times in October and come across otherhunters loading up small bucks and does. They are exstatic, as they should be, tokill any whitetail. I congratulate them and then they are off. Thenas November rolls around thehunting gets serious with very few hunters left to worry about! Tag soup's not all bad!
Attention, attention!!! [:-] [:-]

Guys, this is scripture that is actually written in the deer hunters bible. It's gospel!!

I had to learn this the hard way myself. There are many hunters that swear that there are no big bucks on their land, but there are, you just have to be patient and wait for one. Now remember, the number of sightings per season may be very low, but they are there. Typical sightings in an average area in the midwest may be from 0-3 per season. That is why a hunter wanting to tag a big mature buck must be willing to eat tag soup.

Good job Hunter 59
Thanks Greg, but I don't claim to know any more than any other deer hunter that has "matured" into the sport. I believe it's a natural progression that some, not all,of us go through. I've killed numerous does and small bucks in my time afield, and was very excited with every one of them. As time went by, and seeing someof the big bucks people were bringing in, I decided Ineeded a paradigm shift in the way that I attacked my deer hunting.As soon as I made the "commitment" to let the small ones walk, things took a turn for the better!It's hard toend the season empty handed when all of your hunting buds are showing pictures of their bucks.Your hunting "prowess" can take ahit for awhile, which may be why it's hard for somehunters to let them walk. Once you start bringing in the more mature bucks over the years, you gain a new respect from other hunters, if that is what you're looking for.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Hunter_59

Thanks Greg, but I don't claim to know any more than any other deer hunter that has "matured" into the sport. I believe it's a natural progression that some, not all,of us go through. I've killed numerous does and small bucks in my time afield, and was very excited with every one of them. As time went by, and seeing someof the big bucks people were bringing in, I decided Ineeded a paradigm shift in the way that I attacked my deer hunting.As soon as I made the "commitment" to let the small ones walk, things took a turn for the better!It's hard toend the season empty handed when all of your hunting buds are showing pictures of their bucks.Your hunting "prowess" can take ahit for awhile, which may be why it's hard for somehunters to let them walk. Once you start bringing in the more mature bucks over the years, you gain a new respect from other hunters, if that is what you're looking for.
While gaining respect from other hunters makes one feel good, I find that the respect I gain for myself is more satisfying. When all the hard work and patience finally pay off, you can't beat that feeling. Unfortunately, I find that for every hunter that compliments and congradulates you, there are at least as many that put you down. There is a lot of jealousy in this sport. This is why more and more trophy hunters are keeping to themselves or to their small group of true friends. Kind of sad.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have eaten tag soup many times! That is perfectly fine with me. I would much rather let a 135" buck walk inorder to shoot a 140inch plus 4.5 yr old. Plus, now that i have a trail camera and have seen all the 140-160 class bucks on the properties that i hunt, then why in the world would i settle for anything less. Who cares if i kill a buck every year.....i dont just want a buck i want "the" buck
Old 03-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I do. Yes, I did that this season. I don't need to shoot a small buck just for the sake of doing so, I can get plenty of meat from doe tags.
x2
Old 03-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

I ate tag soup this year!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 01:03 PM

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I do. Yes, I did that this season. I don't need to shoot a small buck just for the sake of doing so, I can get plenty of meat from doe tags.
x2
same here, except i passed on the does this year as well.[&:]
Old 03-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Every year I let many legal bucks pass, here in IL any buck is legal. We also can shoot does, so if I want meat I take a doe and wait for that trophy. Also a resident tag anywhere is cheap, so let's not kid ourselves about eating a tag......as a non-res you may lower your standards, or try to fill that tag for some meat, but even so, if im hunting out of state, its not for meat, its for a trophy. I can get all the meat in my home state. So even a pricey tag, I'm not going to go out west to shoot a 4x4 250" elk, I'll go home empty handed, with a tag in hand. Same with elk or any other specie, I'd take a doe if I wanted the meat, maybe last evening of an elk hunt I'd take a cow., etc...
Old 03-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

For 15 years of hunting I have only shot 5 Bucks, so ya,,,I let alot of bucks go in hope of a trophy.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:54 AM

I pass on young bucks, but not for the hopes of them making it through a fewmore years of other hunters, natural predators, drought, traffic, harsh winters, etc. I do it because I have confidence in putting myself near a large buck that is alive RIGHT NOW.

I have been known to lower my standards on occasion, though.

Quick Reply: Trophy Quest?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.