Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you shoot an albino if it was illegal?

Old 02-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you shoot an albino if it was illegal?

This nonsense is still going on? Wow!
Old 02-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

to be honest if i hunted in a state whereit was illegal, and had the 1 in a billion chance of shooting a true albino with pink eyes and pink nose i would still totaly do it no matter what anyone says. If it was a country wide ban i would consider not doing it.
There are most definitely pockets which hold them. On my trip to Wisc. last year, we saw two. One was within range (4 point). However it is illegal to do it there. If it were legal, I would have taken him. It was surprizing to me how agressive that buck was. He was chasing 8 points which were bigger then him. The other I saw was a doe which was jumped from a bed while I was helping another hunter search for his wounded 10 point. [:@]
Old 02-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well luckily it's not illegal in my state but if it were I would let them walk and I would be very careful about shooting a piebald or all-white non- albino deer.

I think there are only like seven states that protect them, and they are only protected because of their looks (color) nothing more. Native Americans considered their sightings to symbolize good luck and I guess some people are still awed (is that a word?) by them a little.

Lets face it though, it's not a unicorn people and their are several things that I feel are more imprtant to consider than it's color.
Such as:

Why does it happen?
Albinism is a genetic condition passed through the bloodlines by mating whitetail deer. Wildlife biologists estimate that true albinos occur just once in every 30,000 births.
Those numbers alone make hunters' chances of seeing one slim -- and the poor survival rate of albino fawns lessens those chances even more.
"Because they're solid white and can't conceal themselves in their environment, they are very susceptible to predators like coyotes and bobcats," Warr said. "They're also prone to several genetic problems."
According to the Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease study in Georgia, albino deer often have poor hearing, subpar eyesight and deformed feet and legs. Even if they do manage to camouflage their white coats and avoid predators, their life expectancy is only three to four years.

I don't agree with the laws protecting them but if I lived in those states I would obey them. Alas, I live in the great state of VA so an albino will find him/herself graveyard dead if he ventures past my stand.

This buck came from Fort Pickett this past season, it looks like an albino because of it's color and pink nose but I'm not sure if it 100% because it does have a brown patch on its head. I probably would have tried to geta better picture to post in the newspaper(that's just me).
Old 02-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

This threadmade me think of another thread that should be started...

Would you shoot(or at least pepper spray/taze)stupidthread startersif it were legal?

Just kidding, kind of.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

ORIGINAL: nick_bleuer76

easy...yes
On a semi-related note, did you guys know that at least 1 in 10 Americans cannot find the United States on a world map?
That was hilarious!!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

sorry for sounding like an @$$hole by making this thread, i can see 100 percent why people would be mad at me or not agree with me... I do always follow the law but in this one occasion it would be very hard for me to.
Sorry
Old 02-29-2008, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

if it was legal witch I beleave it is in my state I would have a full body mount.....
Old 02-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its illegal here and is apart of celtic traditionsas it is with native American culture - It has a great meaning to us. (Like yourbald eagle)So I couldn't bring myself to kill one neither could any other Scot that is truely Scottish. It may not have meaning there but It does here so NO would have to be my answer, plus i'd never break the law. I am a mature hunter and have common sense.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: remington_girl

Its illegal here and is apart of celtic traditionsas it is with native American culture - It has a great meaning to us. (Like yourbald eagle)So I couldn't bring myself to kill one neither could any other Scot that is truely Scottish. It may not have meaning there but It does here so NO would have to be my answer, plus i'd never break the law. I am a mature hunter and have common sense.

Does that mean an albino deer and a white stag are the same? What about an albino doe, if it were legal would you shoot one? Just curious.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

sorry for sounding like an @$$hole by making this thread, i can see 100 percent why people would be mad at me or not agree with me... I do always follow the law but in this one occasion it would be very hard for me to.
Sorry
@$$hole, no......just need some common sense on this one.

Quick Reply: Would you shoot an albino if it was illegal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.