Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shed Hunting

Old 02-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default Shed Hunting

I was just wondering if anybody has started yet. I am thinking about taking my nephews out with me this weekend. We are going to watch some dog sled races take off at 9am. Then I figured I could keep them out of my sisters hair for a while by taking them for a stroll through the woods lookin for sheds.

What have been your best dates. I have been wanting to get out for the past few years, but never made it [:@] So I am making it a point this year. I also haven't set up the trail cam since gun season.

What are some tips as far as having the most success.

I have read that places they have to jump (fences, logs...) are good. I am hoping we can get on a heavily used trail and go from there. I am hoping to find the buck I saw the last time I was out. He was a bruiser for our area, and if he is around next year I hope to at least get him on camera, if not the wall

If you guys want lets share pics of sheds on here. I have only found 1 set, and that was thanks to my dad. He spotted one out in a field, I found the other about 20 yards away. Never have seen a deer taken that big in our area. I will get pictures up soon.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shed Hunting

Most people around here (Southern Illinois) has been shed hunting for abouta month. I have been shed hunting for three weeks now, found my first sheds two weeks ago and will be back out again this weekend. I would say load your nephews up and hit the field. Even if you don't find any, it is always fun to be out and about.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

Cool, the snow has finally started melting some this year. So I figured it would be a good time to start. I am sure they will get a kick out of it.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been out a few times and have found a few. Check out the HB Field Journal (http://www.heartlandbowhunter.com/fieldjournal/index.html)

Im suprised i havent seen a whole lot of finds oh here...
Old 02-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

My son has found two, we have found alot of dead bucks, as of now, im shed less this year[&o]the snow keeps putting a damper on my hunting [:@]
Old 02-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have found 9 sheds thus far this year and 1 dead buck. Included in all those are 2 matched sets.

Here are 2 pics too. The most interesting thing is that these 2 bucks are related in some way. Probally descending from a particular doe family group thats in the area. Neat stuff.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

The bucks are still carrying them around ay my place.

But I did find some bone this weekend.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hope to get out soon... Haven't had a chance yet...
Old 02-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cant get out anytime soon, theres 2-3 feet of snow up here so im outta luck!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Typical Buck

Here are the only set of sheds that I have ever found....I found 1 other shed in a friends place,,,but they took it.

Quick Reply: Shed Hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.