Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Under-rated: Natural ground blinds.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:23 AM
N2D

Default RE: Under-rated: Natural ground blinds.

After years of taking deer from tree stands, I finally was able to kill one from the ground while scouting this past season. Let me tell ya, it was close up and a real rush. I will, however, say that hunting from the ground is best suited for more flat land areas. Trying to pay attention to the wind in the mountains and hilly areas is a waste of time. One minute the wind is from one direction and then completely opposite the next, and every direction in between as well.

Ed
Old 02-26-2008, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I killed my turkey out of a natural ground blind this past spring. Deer hunting i just prefer trees and besides i hate messing with pop up blinds
Old 02-26-2008, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

I do occasionally hunt from the ground, but I do not make an exoribant ground blind. Sometimes I just sit in the brush, on an old log, etc., just as long as I have some good backdrop behind me. I killed these two bucks from the ground with a bow:

Old 02-26-2008, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Below is a blind my son and I made last summer. We bowhunted out of it twice (my son and I), but unfortunately they were 80 degree days and nothing was moving. A good friend (an elderly man in not very good health) took an aweful nice 8 point out of it during gun season though. It was his best yet.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm going to be trying natural ground blindsmore. I did it a number of times this year and saw some deer, but couldn't seal the deal. I used to do itquitea bit, but got away from it. It is a different game on the ground and you have to be on alert and aware of what is going on at all times. I think with a little more practice to get back into that mode and taking the time to build some better blinds I can have some good success.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:37 AM

You bet. The last few years I have hunted more and more from natural grounds blinds. Rarely do I use a popup. I usually carry my Gerber saw with me and cut limbs and brnachs and make a natural blind and often hunt it that day. There used to be a lot of areas that I wanted to hunt but there just werent decent trees available so I moved on. Now if there isnt a good tree it doesnt stop me from hunting a certain spot. It is a real rush when you are eye to eye with a mature buck. These are my 06, and '07 bucks, both taken from natural ground blinds. The '06 was taken from a blind of cut sumac constructed 45 minutes before he came through and the '07 buck was taken in the morning from a ground blind built the afternoon before.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

The buck I killed this year was on the ground underneath a tree, he walked past me at 20 yards. I hunted alot on the ground and had a lot of fun building me own blind.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I only started using a tree stand 7yrs ago. I've killed about 10-12 deer from natural ground blinds. It is the "real deal" being at ground level.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

i killed my first deer out of a natural ground blind!
Old 02-26-2008, 01:54 PM

thats the only way i hunt, and i love it. i hunted out of a tree 2 times and never liked it. i dont know why. if you want to hunt on the ground next year read this book- http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0014761613575a&navCount=1&podI d=0014761613575&parentId=cat601668&masterp athid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat2142 4-cat601668&catalogCode=QW&rid=&parentTy pe=index&indexId=cat601668&hasJS=true
i read it about 4 times a year, its a great read.

Quick Reply: Under-rated: Natural ground blinds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.