Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Frustrated? Ever enough to quit?

Old 02-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Frustrated? Ever enough to quit?

Wondering if anyone out there gets frustrated, or beyond frustrated when hunting? Though I don't think I'd ever quit, I do consider seriously changing the situation. Curious who else out there can relate? For me now its the current property I whitetail deer and turkey hunt. I hunt it for deer, the turkeys are more of a bonus. Not having much luck with either the past couple of years. Trespassers, hunting/and probably poaching deer and turkey, along with neighbors, shooting anything that moves for meat. Others who also want to manage the land for bigger deer, not following some rules/agreements. Driving 3hrs to this place to hunt.

Can anyone relate? Anyone had this problem and changed it up/made it better? Please share some instances, whether current, or recent, or past, thanks.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Frustrated? Ever enough to quit?

Frustrated ever enough to quit? Never. In fact.. more determined than ever in these situations.

What you are describing is hunting. Tresspassers, loose dogs, ATV dudes, and neighbors are a fact of every hunt. For some more than others. You just have to bear it.. deal with it.. and continue hunting.

The trick is to use these "invasions" to your own advantage. Keeping a low profile on your properties will only bring in the more mature deer. Year round scent control along with planned and well executed entrance and exit routes are a must.

Using other hunters in your hunt plans can create some fantastic opportunities for yourself. I consider it a must.. maybe so should you.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

I'am with you salukipv1, I try and let the smaller bucks grow but the guys in the woods next to me shoot at every deer they see . Last year i past up 6 deer and one was a 8 with a drope tine the frist one i've ever seen in the woods if i let him live next year he would have been realy nice but no the guys in the woods next to me had to shoot 5-6 time at him i don't know if he got him or not but i never seen him agian or the other bucks for that matter.I'mgoing to try and get some orther woods to hunt in but it's going to be very hard to do since the farmers and anyone else around here that owns woods to let you hunt ,because there just tired of hunter tespassing or tearing up the gates or leaveing trash on the land. I hope i can get some some where , but anyway thats all i have to say .
Old 02-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Been hunting for thirty years and I've never really been frustrated.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

hunting public land makes me want to quit every year, but i never do.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

There have been many nights when I come home that I have said that I should just hang it up for the year, but I usually fiind myself right back out there the next day. Loose dogs that the neighbor guy refuses to keep on his land, and days on end without seeing any deer will do that to guy. Might just have to switch from deer hunting to dog hunting for awhile.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

hunting public land makes me want to quit every year, but i never do.
I feel your pain. I don't mind bowhunting public land so much, but rifle hunting is awful. This past opening day, I hiked about 2 hours from the access area, with a climber on my back, to an area that I had scouted extensively. This was literally as far away as you could get from an access area. Right at first light, a guy came tromping through the thicket I was set up in. Shined my light at him and he kept going, only to sit down about 70 yards from me (I couldn't see him) and he shoots a nice buck an hour later that was headed straight towards my thicket. I got home that night and told my wife that if I didn't find private land to hunt before next rifle season, I was done with rifle hunting all together. You guys and gals that have private land to hunt are lucky people and I hope you realize that. Never take it for granted either...10 years ago I had several properties to hunt, totalling around 900 acres. In the years since I've lost it all, mostly to development.

So, to answer your question...Yes.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope! I've stayed out of the woods a few stretches being my shooting was sucking hind tit but never have I gotten frustarated enough to quit. I just try that much harder!!
Old 02-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothin can make me quit!!
Old 02-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt national forest land in wis. I have to put up with bear hunters and their dogs, bird hunters and their dogs, wolves, pine bough pickers, other hunters and their corn piles everywhere. Oh, I almost forgot the atv's. The deer population where I hunt is very low. I have had 2 seperate stretches where I hunted morning and evening for 7 days straight without a deer sighting. I've seen my share of frustration. Quit? never!

Quick Reply: Frustrated? Ever enough to quit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.