Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Frustrated? Ever enough to quit?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Frustrated? Ever enough to quit?

well this past season was my 4th i shot a deer my first season got stuck getting the blazer to it
then the guy that gave me a ride went back and took my deer
the second season i did not see one deer only a ton of gun hunters
then for xmas that year i got a bow for the gun hunter reasons.
My third season i did not get to hunt due to moving
this season i said if i did not get a deer i was done i would sell everything and buy a xbox 360 which i now have anyways

Well after missing two does and one 9 point buck i never even thought about missing
the first doe was due to me trying to let my bow up and i shot by mistake
second one was due to deer fever
the buck was due to a severe case of buck fever where i was shaking like a paint mixer
i shot under him and though i had him until a hour later i get down and see the arrow
I almost cryed that day and i am not ashamed to say it

But i never once thought about quiting this season.

Now i am planning on spending 2000 plus this year for hunting stuff.
Muzzle loader insulated clothes tree stand. ground blind and a target for bow and a few other thing
god this is a costly hobby
Old 02-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jmccoy_77

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

hunting public land makes me want to quit every year, but i never do.
I feel your pain. I don't mind bowhunting public land so much, but rifle hunting is awful. This past opening day, I hiked about 2 hours from the access area, with a climber on my back, to an area that I had scouted extensively. This was literally as far away as you could get from an access area. Right at first light, a guy came tromping through the thicket I was set up in. Shined my light at him and he kept going, only to sit down about 70 yards from me (I couldn't see him) and he shoots a nice buck an hour later that was headed straight towards my thicket. I got home that night and told my wife that if I didn't find private land to hunt before next rifle season, I was done with rifle hunting all together. You guys and gals that have private land to hunt are lucky people and I hope you realize that. Never take it for granted either...10 years ago I had several properties to hunt, totalling around 900 acres. In the years since I've lost it all, mostly to development.

So, to answer your question...Yes.
exactly, ive had such bad experinces on public, people hunting to close to me, walking through your spot, have to carry those have a$s climbers on your back, not knowing where your going,i even had a shotgun hunter shoot towards me, as the pellets bounced off the trees around me, and he new i was there [:'(]
Old 02-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

guy did that to me there would be one less hunter leaving and one more truck left on the road

ORIGINAL: jmccoy_77

hunting public land makes me want to quit every year, but i never do.
I feel your pain. I don't mind bowhunting public land so much, but rifle hunting is awful. This past opening day, I hiked about 2 hours from the access area, with a climber on my back, to an area that I had scouted extensively. This was literally as far away as you could get from an access area. Right at first light, a guy came tromping through the thicket I was set up in. Shined my light at him and he kept going, only to sit down about 70 yards from me (I couldn't see him) and he shoots a nice buck an hour later that was headed straight towards my thicket. I got home that night and told my wife that if I didn't find private land to hunt before next rifle season, I was done with rifle hunting all together. You guys and gals that have private land to hunt are lucky people and I hope you realize that. Never take it for granted either...10 years ago I had several properties to hunt, totalling around 900 acres. In the years since I've lost it all, mostly to development.

So, to answer your question...Yes.
exactly, ive had such bad experinces on public, people hunting to close to me, walking through your spot, have to carry those have a$s climbers on your back, not knowing where your going,i even had a shotgun hunter shoot towards me, as the pellets bounced off the trees around me, and he new i was there [:'(]
Old 02-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

The biggest frustation I have ever had, was a 195" buck walk by my stand, just out of my range, walking into my neighbors land, and being shot. That has been the worst![:@]
Old 02-25-2008, 08:33 PM

ORIGINAL: arrow2512

I'am with you salukipv1, I try and let the smaller bucks grow but the guys in the woods next to me shoot at every deer they see . Last year i past up 6 deer and one was a 8 with a drope tine the frist one i've ever seen in the woods if i let him live next year he would have been realy nice but no the guys in the woods next to me had to shoot 5-6 time at him i don't know if he got him or not but i never seen him agian or the other bucks for that matter.I'mgoing to try and get some orther woods to hunt in but it's going to be very hard to do since the farmers and anyone else around here that owns woods to let you hunt ,because there just tired of hunter tespassing or tearing up the gates or leaveing trash on the land. I hope i can get some some where , but anyway thats all i have to say .
Nope, never wanted to quit, ever. Your managing for bigger bucks only works on a bigger piece of property with surrounding owners on the same page, which is where I 'm "finally" at. You have to actually figure out which day(s) is best for that piece ie; WED-THUR mornings are excellent for me, I know this doesn't fit for all, but you can do some things. If I was driving 3 hours, PFFFF, it would be right, or I'm finding another slice of heaven. BigDaddy12 darn thing looked just like a Yote to me!!! Just kidding, I'm not condoning shooting the neighbors dog, but I surely would do something about it, where I am it's against the law big time, and the CO "will" come out for it.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Frustrated, you bet. I've been in a deep depression because of bad hunting, other people, stolen stands, etc but it usually works out fine in the end.

But I'd never quit, even if hunting was banned nationwide.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Site Buck Guru

The word quit is not in my vocabulary.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had some tough times when I hunted for several days without seeing any deer,but as I got better at hunting and started using more scent control I was able to see more deer and we improved our hunting area with food plots.Some times when it seems like I'll never see or shoot a deer I change my hunting style or patterns or get away from hunting for a while and it helps me appreciate being out in the woods.I feel sorry for everyone that has to hunt public ground....after reading all the horror stories I should be more thankful for where I hunt! [&:]

I mostly Bow Hunt on the Family Farm andme and some hunting friends leased some private ground to Rifle Hunt on and it has been really nice there,2 of us shot nice Bucks there this past 2007 Deer Season and we're going to help with some work around there and will plant some Spring and Fall food plots there too.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

The word quit is not in my vocabulary.
DITTO.....
Old 02-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

Just life everything else in life, it goes in cycles. It will come up eventually

Quick Reply: Frustrated? Ever enough to quit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.