Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much trophy is a trophy?

Old 02-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How much trophy is a trophy?

If fair was fair and our harvestswere evaluated based on time, effort, and energy spent, how would that affect your answers to the following random question below? There's no right or wrong and as this is an "OPINIONS" thread, guys with war on their minds can do the rest of us a favor by clicking X at the upper right. Being nice while being honest is all that's required to participate.

1) Ifyou downed aB&C that just happened to walk by when you were intending on meat hunting, would it be as much a trophy as theB&C that some guy spotted oncethen went back the following week to score on?

2) Andwhat about a specifically targetedP&Yharvested after a month's chase -vs- the B&Cabove that was only seen once prior?Which would you consider more of an accomplishment and why?

3) Thenhow wouldthe winner of the abovematch-up compareto the matriarch doe that someone trail cam'ed, patterned, and hiked up and down the mountains of West Virginiafor several miles at a time all season to finally get a crack at?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How much trophy is a trophy?

It's all in your own eyes of your own trophy, but if you go with bigger rack the bigger trophy, then you have to compete with other guys who also agree.

I dont hunt a place where I spot monsters and consistently go after them, have my buck picked out....I hunt as best I can hoping a big boy will walk past me, one day I hope to own a large piece where I can draw the bucks in and manage them and then I think my trophy will not only be a trophy/monster whitetail but also one I really put time and effort into creating, right now I'm unable to do that as I dont own land.

As for now, the property I hunt, my father and I try to pass up smaller/younger bucks, but we'repretty frustrated to see lile reward to our efforts, considering finding a new place to hunt, trespassers, neighbors shooting tiny bucks, our cousin shooting tiny bucks who is supposedly managing deer with the same intentions clearly isnt. also drivng 2.5-3hrs away to hunt, its kinda annoying.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

1) Ifyou downed aB&C that just happened to walk by when you were intending on meat hunting, would it be as much a trophy as theB&C that some guy spotted oncethen went back the following week to score on?
I never intend on "meat hunting" if I have a buck tag. Can't honestly answer this question. Sure I have shot does when I still had a buck tag, but I never intentionally set out to do so. [/align]
2) Andwhat about a specifically targetedP&Yharvested after a month's chase -vs- the B&Cabove that was only seen once prior?Which would you consider more of an accomplishment and why?
I would consider the B&C more of an accomplishment, the odds of killing one are astronomical..... I donot personally know anyone who has ever killed one that would qualify forthe B&C all time record book.

3) Thenhow wouldthe winner of the abovematch-up compareto the matriarch doe that someone trail cam'ed, patterned, and hiked up and down the mountains of West Virginiafor several miles at a time all season to finally get a crack at?
Again, I would go with the B&C without question. There is a "dominate" doe in most all "home ranges", there is not a B&C or P&Y for that matter in every "home range". A mature doe is more susceptible to fall to a hunter than a mature buck as well with tending their fawns all fall. They are forcedon their"feet" by the youngins restlessness much more often during legal shooting hours than they would be on their hooves without them.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. trophy
2. trophy
3. trophy
Old 02-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can say this much that my P@Y buck I got this year I didn't think I deserved it. Reason being is I only hunted 3 days this last fall for whitetails. I just felt a bit guilty compaired to my brother and a few other hunting buddies who were all out there putting the time in and didn't have the luck I did!
Old 02-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

1. trophy
2. trophy
3. trophy
agreed
Old 02-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm going with that shot we made on that satellite the other night as the best trophy of all.

Plenty of preseason scouting.

As big and mature as it was going to get.

Helluva shot

All the makings of a boomer in my mind.[:-]
Old 02-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm probably a little different than most in my view of this.

1. yes-Even when I am doe hunting, I am still following the "rules" and am hunting. Seeing a deer a time or 2 before killing it, doesn't make it any more or less special to me. Now those who stake out a deer way ahead of time and go for it. THAT is impressive to me.

2. THe B&C is more of a trophy in my eyes, however to some the P&Y may mean more, and be more "special". B&C are few as said.

3. Again, the doe to some may be more "special" but its not a trophy in my eyes.

Now to sum my general feelings I kind of separate "trophy" from a "special or meaningful" deer. Oftentimes the most meaningful deer taken by a person is not the biggest "trophy". And that is probably a good thing. I am not one to consider any deer a trophy. Under a set of circumstances any deer can end up very special to a person, however I just can see me calling a doe that I've taken a "trophy". I'll say that the conditions surrounding hte kill may make it incredibly meaningful and something to be looked upon with a smile, but not a trophy. I supposed its more semantics than anything.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

hmmmm I wonder if there'd been more opinions expressed had I not said you gotta be nice. See, this comfirms it, nicedon't get ratings,men like war!

Seriously, I originally intended to arrange the deer I listed in ascending order of trophy worthiness but thinking about it now, I really arranged them in descending order ofease to acheive(time effort energy)
Old 02-26-2008, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I'll take 1 or 2

A doe is good table fair and all..but any attempts to make it a trophy, I always view as a bit desperate.

That outta stir your controversy Hoytail, sorry it's just one mans opinion.

Quick Reply: How much trophy is a trophy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.