Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much trophy is a trophy?

Old 02-26-2008, 06:57 AM
Spike

Default RE: How much trophy is a trophy?

1) A B&C is a trophy in my book, no matter how much luck was involved, I'd rather be lucky than good.
2)The P&Y would def. be more of an accomplishment in my book. Assuming the B&C was seen once before the shot. (Both still very much trophies)
3)Assuming someone would go through that much trouble to pattern a doe, they better consider it a trophy.

To some of us who only get to go 1 to 3 times a week (3 if im lucky) any successful clean shot is a trophy. If i could go more, maybe my standards would be higher.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

A doe is good table fair and all..but any attempts to make it a trophy, I always view as a bit desperate.
So does that mean that when you look at this pic of Schultzy'smounts you get a chuckle inside?

That's not a very GR8atta2d, LOL jk man, it is all in the eye.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

No not at all they are beautiful and great creatures..and I mean no disrespect to them.

It's when someone comes on and says something like a cagey 3 year-old doe is a true trophy..comparable to a buck of equal age..Thats grasping IMHO
Old 02-26-2008, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I haven't read the others' comments so I can give my unbiased opinion onthese questions.

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

1) Ifyou downed aB&C that just happened to walk by when you were intending on meat hunting, would it be as much a trophy as theB&C that some guy spotted oncethen went back the following week to score on?
No the first buck would not be as special as one that I saw and then went after. The second one would be a deer that I was targeting and did not just "stumble" upon. Both would be trophies, but the second would mean more to me.

2) Andwhat about a specifically targetedP&Yharvested after a month's chase -vs- the B&Cabove that was only seen once prior?Which would you consider more of an accomplishment and why?
In my area seeing a B&C class buck is a lifetime event, so seeing one and then getting him on the ground would be something very special. Targeting a P&Y and playing the chess match to get him would also be special, but a B&C buck is so darn near completely nocturnal that to see him twice and get him on the ground is a true feat.

3) Thenhow wouldthe winner of the abovematch-up compareto the matriarch doe that someone trail cam'ed, patterned, and hiked up and down the mountains of West Virginiafor several miles at a time all season to finally get a crack at?
While I don't know many, if any guys that would do this it certainly would be an accomplishment. That old doe may be the hardest one to kill of all the deer mentioned. She would have the wariness of the B&C buck with some extra sets of eyes, ears, and noses to detect you with her at all times. She would definitely be a trophy.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:05 AM
Site Buck Guru

As long as it meets or exceeds my goals, I'll take what I can get. I'd rather be lucky than good. I'd feel great with anything.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting questions. For me, a B&C is kind of t he pinnacle of deer hunting, especially with the bow. THe deer right now that are most special to me are the two that my wife killed, the first with a gun and her first with a bow. Niether of them make any record books, but the hunts were awesome and her excitement can't be replaced by a slot in the record books. I place a special importance on how the animal was killed, meaning killed cleanly whether it be with bow or gun. A friend of mine this year killed 185 5/8" buck, a real giant, but it took him 4 shots to get it anchored, none of them in the vitals. His first shot hit it in the pelvis, breaking it, so it couldn't run, just shuffle along. Second shot was through the intestines, third shot was through the front leg, about knee height, fourth shot, from 10 yards away was in the neck, making a massive hole, since it was with a .50 cal T/C and 285 grain Barnes bullet. A scenario like this would definitely make me fel guilty about how I got the deer. I completely understand that a perfect clean kill doesn't always happen, but I really hope that if I get the chance on a true monster, I can do it cleanly.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

No not at all they are beautiful and great creatures..and I mean no disrespect to them.

It's when someone comes on and says something like a cagey 3 year-old doe is a true trophy..comparable to a buck of equal age..Thats grasping IMHO
A cagey 3 year old doe, no. But a doe that is 5+ years old is one that is hard to get within bow range. What is curious to me, and I don't want to hijack the thread with this, but why does don't turn nocturnal like bucks? Does the competition for food drive them to move earlier? Hmmm.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I rifle hunted next to another group three years ago. One of the guys in the group is more of a casual hunter. That year he shot a 100" class 8 pointer. He was so excited about that deer that you would think he just shot the world record. I stood there and heard the story so many times that I had it memorized. The look on his face and that gleem in his eyes was priceless. Now there is a real trophy!!! It made my whole season.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

Nice thoughts...everyone has their own opinions as to what makes a trophy to them. For me, if I can successfully take a decent buck with my bow, then I consider that a trophy. And to me, decent is 2.5 year old or older where I hunt.

I do not consider animals taken in caged hunts a trophy whatsoever. Yeah, you may have a monster buck, but I only base my opinions on fair chase hunting.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find my definition of trophy changing every year. It is icreasingly becoming based on experiance more than uniqueness of the animal. This past season I was very happy with harvesting a brute of a deer, the most inches of antler on a buck I have ever harvested with a bow, but I had never seen it before and after making a relatively poor shot on it I can honestly say I dont consider it as great as a few deer I have harvested in the past, after seeing them throughout the pre-season and making a perfect setup and harvest. Dont get me wrong, I still love antlers, but for me there are other measurement devices as well. So...when I observe others accomplishments I often just look at antlers(because I really cannot tell how much time and effort they spent after a certain animal), but mine are never measured just that way.

Quick Reply: How much trophy is a trophy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.