Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

axle to axle

Old 02-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: axle to axle

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I have a 26 inch draw length which is pretty short. I have a few bows that are in the 35 inch range, and a few in the 30-33 inch range. My next bow will be a minimum of 35 inches ATA.

I don't see how these guys with longer draw lengths can shoot the short bows. I am so much more comfortable with a longer bow and less string angle.

And to tell you the truth I can't really tell difference between any of them as far as the way they handle when walking around or being in a stand. When you lay my 35 inch bow down and lay the 31 inch bow next to it and center it there really isn't that big of difference after taking into consideration over all length with the cams and everything.

I really want a reflex carribou, but the draw length doesn't go low enough. I might see if I can get around that though.

That's my personal view on it, some like the short bows.

Paul

This is about word for word what I would say. I have a 27" draw and still prefer bows at least 36" long. 38" is even better.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Armybowhunter28

I just bought a DXT with a 29.75 ATA and I love it, and I have a 29.5 inch draw and I have no problems with it, it shoots great.

Is this you in the picture? Get a good coach and he'll shorten you down to about 28"----if you'll listen.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:17 PM

X2. You are at least an inch too long on the bow's draw length. And I too like the longer ATA bows. My 2005 Hoyt ProTec is 38" - very forgiving and accurate. I bought a short light bow for a backup in October - and it does shoot well - but if I'm going to a 5 spot match or hunting somewhere that is within 1/2 mile of the truck, the Hoyt is going with me. High level of confidence in this unit.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

ORIGINAL: Armybowhunter28

I just bought a DXT with a 29.75 ATA and I love it, and I have a 29.5 inch draw and I have no problems with it, it shoots great.

Is this you in the picture? Get a good coach and he'll shorten you down to about 28"----if you'll listen.
I AGREE!!

At the very LEAST a 28.5"
Old 02-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Although My hunting bow is 34"A to Aand has a 7 3/4" BH, and is a very forgiving little bow, My next one will be at least 36to 38" with 7" Plus BH, yet still be fast enough to be competitive at 3D's.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with you somewhat..... I have a drenalin, and now they have the dxt, personally I see no reason to own a shorter bow, everything I hear/read says how longer is more forgiving, i know they make a drenalin XL essentially though it has a different name. Looked kinda too long/odd to me, I tend to like mid length if not longer.....

I think shorter bows tend to just be selling points....lighter, but how much likght is a dxt to a standard drenalin say? 3.8lbs vs? 3.6? irrelavant if you ask me. Also are shorter bows suppose to be less combersome? miss branches etc....i never bump my bow into this other stufff, feel standard lenths are plenty short.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Remember when a super short bow was 35 - 36inches and everyone said that they would rather have a 40" bow. Now a super short bow is 30 inches and everyone claims they want a 35 - 36 inch bow.

A bows ATA length is not the only deciding factor when choosing a bow. Take Bowtechs riser design of the General and Guardian. Those risers arewithin an inch of being the same length of their ownATA lengths andare longer than many otherbows risers that are several inches longer in their ATA length which means there is a lot of mass out there on the ends to keep the bow stable. The Generals riser is actually longer than its ATA length by a full inch.

A good example is.... I use to own a Parker ultra lite 35. But that bow weighed a meer 3.2 pounds. It was far less forgiving to shoot than the General I am shooting now or the guardianI shot last year.

For some people the string angle can be a valid argument but that is easily adapted to. The difference in string angle between a 30" and a 35" ATA bow is negligable.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

With my 30" draw i have found that 34" is my personal ATA minimum. Have shot up to 36" and like that quite a bit.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]
For some people the string angle can be a valid argument but that is easily adapted to. The difference in string angle between a 30" and a 35" ATA bow is negligable.

[hr]

Short Axle to Axle = greater string angle = Longer draw length to obtain consistent sight picture (nose to string) = improper anchor and back tension = poor form and shooting skills.