Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

gutting deer

Old 02-11-2003, 03:55 PM

Default gutting deer

When you are gutting a deer, do you have to break/crack the pelvis? What is the point of it, to be able to cut out the anis? How do you do it? Can you just put the point of the knife on it and give it a beatin'? Is it that easy to crack?

So in order, you would:

slit the hide, cut around inside of cavity freeing up intestines, cut throat, break pelvis, cut around anis, dump inerds?

Thanks.

**do you know of any websites that show the pelvis move and the cuttin' of the poop shoot?
Old 02-11-2003, 04:05 PM

Default RE: gutting deer

Rookel,

I do not cut the pelvis. I do the following....

I cut a slit below the ribs and insert my guthook. Then I slit from the pelvis up to the ribs. Then (if not to be mounted) go ahead and cut the breast plate all the way to the base of the throat. Pull the tail up and cut all the way around the anus. Lay the deer on it's side and let everything roll down hill. Reach in and trim anything attached from the ribcage allowing the insides to fall even further out. Reach up as far as posiible inside neck and cut windpipe. Pull all out and then reach under the pelvis wnd trim out anything still attached being careful not to bust the bladder in the process. If I do, I wash the inside immediately, if I do not bust it, I wash it immediately anyway.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Visit me on the Web...

Hunting in Georgia and Beyond
http://www.huntinginga.com

Edited by - huntinginga on 02/11/2003 17:06:30
Old 02-11-2003, 04:29 PM
Dominant Buck

What he said is close enough. I rheem first. If I'm not mounting it I cut the windpipe about half way up the neck and work it loose. Then I do the belly, no gut hook... just a steady hand with two fingers under guiding the blade. I go right on up through and split open the chest. Flop the deer and the insides will start to fall out. REach in and work loose the diaphragm a little on both sides. REach up in the front of the split chest cavity. Grab the windpipe. If you worked it loose it'll pull right out of the neck. Just keep pulling. The windpipe is a great handle. Everything will flop right out with a little trimming along the spine. IF you rheemed the butt good it'll flop right out to. Usually the bladder comes but if it doesn't just reach in pinch the tube and pull gently. It'll pop right out. I never split the pelvis. IF I owned my own place to hunt on I'd probably never gut the things.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im with david mill allways cut around the anus first as far down as posable . Its important that you do a good job on this first it makes the rest easyer .

We all have different oppinions , if we did'nt the world would be a BORING place
Old 02-11-2003, 05:48 PM

Sorry for the rookie questions fellas..and thanks for the replies.

When you say, "cut the breast plate all the way to the base of the throat", do you mean cutting through the bone itself...basically splitting the chest like davidmill described? Can you split the chest with your hands by simply pulling them apart? Is that just to have easier access to the throat area to cut the pipe?

I've only gutted one deer, and screwed up the rear end something fierce. Is the anas itself enclosed by bone or the like? I had a heck of a time cutting around it, and ended up butchering the thing. If done properly, would it be like cutting the core out of an apple?

Thanks again fellas.

Old 02-11-2003, 05:59 PM

I do about the same as above but I use the saw on my Swiss camping knife to cut along the line down the middle of the plevis. It takes all of about 30 seconds to do this. Then I hook my finger around the last bit of the poop tube, tug up on it and cut the anus from the inside to the out. I've been doing this for about 40 years and it works well. You will not get any animal waste on the meat and it really opens up the deer to cool and handle if you quarter and butcher your own game.

Work hard and be true to yourself.
http://www.hunting-pictures.com/memb...kas/index.html
Old 02-11-2003, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do yourself a favor go on ted nugents websight and order the feild dressing video . It will help you out a bunch and your next deer will come out good .
http://www.tnugent.com/
I guess you'll have to call um 517-750-9060

We all have different oppinions , if we did'nt the world would be a BORING place
Old 02-11-2003, 06:16 PM

I'd rather ask a few questions and save myself some money. Since posting I've actually found several sites that break it down with pretty good pics.

Old 02-11-2003, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a site that gives you a very good idea too how to gut a deer, it really helped me learn. http://www.huntingnut.com/faq/fieldd...ess.html<br />

&quot;Pain is weakness leaving the body&quot;
Old 02-11-2003, 10:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: gutting deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.