Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

range finders while elk hunting?

Old 02-11-2003, 03:50 PM

Default range finders while elk hunting?

Newbie here...to both the forum and elk hunting.

I have a range finder, but how often do you actually use it while elk hunting? I would think not very often, as your shots have to be fairly quick and you are always moving around? Yes?

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:21 PM

Default RE: range finders while elk hunting?

I use mine quite a bit. I like to set up in a thicket then range a few marks at first light if nothing is in front of me. I also like to range while stalking just to verify that my distance is correct after I guess. Good hunting.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:07 PM
Typical Buck

Excellent handle, Rookelkhunter, like gleninAZ I also have used range finders. I'd like to add that I rarely am able to use it when a bull is actually coming in, mostly I've found as he's coming to calling most of the time the last thing you want to do is be moving around. I've tried the ranging things before he comes in but he rarely comes where you think he should, unless he's vocal coming coming in. What I've found extremely helpful especially for someone new is to take your range finder into the woods before hunting season. Shoot at various objects such as pine cones or tuffs of grass, not in rocky terrain. Using your range finder before you shoot so you know the distance, before you know it you'll guess along with it, like anything else practice makes perfect, before you know it you'll be dead on from 35yds and closer without the range finder. Thus you should'nt need it when actually elk hunting. Remember most your shots should be at that range or closer. This method will also keep you from losing arrows. Good Luck. elknut1.

www.elknut.com
Bugling Bulls & Beyond!
Old 02-12-2003, 02:23 PM
CG

What elknut1 said....
Old 02-12-2003, 02:47 PM

elknut is right knowing yardage is the best way. However I still use mine quite a bit as I hear elk coming in and when ever sitting over wallows and water. Always carry it with me!!!
Old 02-12-2003, 02:59 PM

I would definently take your range finder unless it is big and bulky and might git in the way. I would use it like elknut1 said. It could be the difference in having the confidence in your shot and not. Use it while practicing and know that you are going to hit what you are aiming at. That way when the bull comes in you focus on one spot (not the antlers) and squeze the trigger.

I would also practice calling if you are going to be hunting during the rut. Get some videos and really learn the sound a bull and cows make. If your are going to get good you better start now. It really takes a long time to master that sound. Be ready when you have that bull screaming and breathing down the back of your neck you still want to think of that spot you are going to hit and be steady. Good luck!!!!!!
BowElkDwn