Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hanging a stand IN bedding area?

Old 02-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hanging a stand IN bedding area?

i agree with magicman, hunt the edges if possible. i'dsit in a tree(pre season) to find out what trail the big buck is using. use a cam if possible to eliminate being busted. I don't know about setting up a blind that morning but I wouldn't do it. i'd just walk around the woods and gather sticks/logs and build a semi-perm blind in the spring so the deer are used to it's presence. I've built blinds like that during firearm season and they've always worked for me.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I say go for it. If you do everything right and this spot is that good, all you need is one day. If you don't get anything, back out till the rut and continue on. One uninvasive trip in, isn't going to ruin the spot for the season.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cruise/hunt the edges during the pre-rut and when all else fails, invade that bedding area and hunt it during the rut! Get 3 or so trees ready to go on that 17 acres so that at least you are not pressuring one stand too much.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

Hang it now!!! Put a trailcam out to check arrival time.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Get 3 or so trees ready to go on that 17 acres
I would but remember there is only one tree bigger than 4 inches in diameter and it is knarly for sure.

Hang it now!!! Put a trailcam out to check arrival time.
Being public land I can't leave a stand more than 7 days, but i was gonna hang a bracket and trim my limbs and shooting lanes next time I go. Then I can sneak in a put my sticks up the tree and drop the stand in the bracket.

I really hate using a camera on public land but I may use it here, it is really thick and knarly here for sure. Maybe I can go in at night when they are out feeding and set up my cam and check it at night too. I'd hate to bump a deer out of there.

Thanks.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

If there aren't any good trees, what about a natural ground blind? Sometimes I'll take a shovel and dig a pit and sit against a stump or something with some natural ground cover all around me. If you build it now, you can slip in their and hunt it when the wind is right and you won't have to worry about disturbing the area hanging stands next fall.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Site Buck Guru

Start way on the outside and slowly work your way in, when everything is perfect. One wrong move and your done. I'd use several stands for different wind directions. Use the first couple of stands for observation stands, then make your move.

Good luck.