Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
good
37.50%
bad
62.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

new scoreing system tell me what you think and what level you are

Old 02-22-2008, 09:10 AM

Default RE: new scoreing system tell me what you think and what level you are

I too am trying to see a purpose behind it, other than a video game like Cagela's big game hunter or something. As far as real life it would be easier to just ask someone what weapons they have used to take game with.

The scoring system is a bit vague to say the least and not really truly representative of a true hunter or his/her skills.

Lets say you have someone that is passionate about deer and water fowl hunting. They spend much of their time practicing archery or on the skeet range. They live in a populated area were it is difficult to use centerfire rifles and have no interest in varmint hunting. They also have no desire to own a handgun, or possibly live in an area where they are very difficult to own. And they exclusively hunt deer during archery season.

I guess according to your scoring system birds would be small game, even though they require a special permit I think. According to your scoring system a person that is has shot many trophy class bucks during archery season and is quite lethal to the bird population doesn't even rank on your system because they have only shot one type of game with one weapon. Wow, that's a kick in the ball sack to that person isn't it.

Meanwhile you have some guy with a weapons fetish that owns all kinds of different weapons and has gotten lucky and managed to kill at least one animal with each and he is a "Master of Arms". Not that there is anything wrong with that at all. I'm just saying that is not a true representation of someones skill. There are many skilled hunters that simply choose not to hunt with a variety of weapons for whatever reason. Doesn't mean they are not proficient with them, they just don't hunt with them.

Like for instance I am pretty good with a pistol, I have just never owned one large enough to hunt large game with. Actually I have not owned one since I started deer hunting. I started deer hunting with a bow then moved to muzzle loader and shotgun and now I sold the slug gun and will exclusively use the muzzle loader again. And I can't use a centerfire where I live.

I also personally don't consider a crossbow a rifle. While it isn't as hard to learn to shoot as a bow it still requires more skill than a rifle and has very limited range just like a bow. I have used both and I would pick a bow over a crossbow any day of the week, they are just more accurate and stealthy for me. That is a topic for whole different thread though, which has been beaten to death in the past.

And just for SG's here is how I would rank.

Master of arms for small game
Level 2 for big game, never shot a deer with a pistol. I'm thinking about trying it though.

Don't take my opinions too personally though, they are nothing but my opinions. And you did ask.

Paul
Old 02-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

To be honest, its kind of a pointless scoring system. I didn't say dumb or stupid, I said pointless.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:18 AM

Im a level 1 for both. killed deer with a rifle and a bow (no shotgun season in MO) and killed squriles and birds with shotgun and a bow.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Level LG 2

Level SG 3
Old 02-22-2008, 01:03 PM

Large Game: Level 1

Small Game: Master of Arms
Old 02-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

level 2 large game
Old 02-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

level 1..........SG.

shotgunner(soon to be level1)...........LG
Old 02-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fletch920

Not sure why any sportsman needs a scoring system unless they are trying to impress someone. Hunt for yourself and enjoy.
I agree with you fletch920. Also if I kill 100 deer with one weapon vs. someone else killing 5 with different weapons your system ranks the 5 above the 100. Thats quite a system you have there!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

SG- Mater of Arms
LG- Level 2

Very interesting scoring system you have there.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Master of Arms small game and level 2 large game haven't taken a pistol or a shotgun to the woods for large game.

Quick Reply: new scoreing system tell me what you think and what level you are

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.