Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is your craziest experience while bowhunting?

Old 02-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is your craziest experience while bowhunting?

I'm going to tell this one on myself, this just happens to be my worst day hunting ever. It started with me and my brother setting in my truck waiting for first light so that we can see to walk in when the Taco Bell from the night before decides that it's time to exit my body. Wel it was 10 degress that morning so I had insulated coveralls on. I squat and do my business and when I get done I turn to see that the sleeve of my coveralls didn't get out of the way and are now holding the mess. I got all of that cleaned off and hunted all morning with no sighting so I head in for lunch to find that my bro' has killed a buck. I drive my truck to where the buck is and get out to load it in the bed. Once we get it loaded I go to get in my truck and realize that I've locked my keys in the ignition. By thistime I've got a major attitude and I just throw a rock through the window and end up having to drive home in 30 degree temps and my window busted out.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MichaelHunsucker

Haha, man some of you have had some crazy stuff happen while you have been hunting.

I have a story that wasnt when i was hunting, but it involves deer.

I was jogging after dark one night in this new, undeveloped neighborhood back behind my parents house. There are always a lot of deer in in the area and i see them all the time. I had my headphones on and turned up loud so i really couldnt hear anything. When i first got in the neighborborhood i spotted a few does up on the hill to my left. They were almost always there. So i keep running and all of a sudden out of my perifrial vision i see this blob come flying by. Scared the crap out of me! A doe basically came charging me and if i wouldnt have stopped running i think it would have hit me!

I think they are trying to get back at me [8D]
haha, that kinda reminds me of one time when I was younger and my dad took me out scouting with him.

We were in this HUGE bottom, finding deer sign all over the place. I was like 9 or 10 so I wasn't real used to being outdoors a whole lot yet. It was late spring so I wasn't too thrilled with walking through all the brush and getting all the spiders/ticks hanging on me to begin with.

But we're in this bottom, and Im pickin spider webs off my face and fighting briars, havin a heck of time, well all of a sudden we hear a bunch of crashing up on top of the ridge and we look and here come 6 deer running straight at us at full speed- they had no clue we were there. So what do I do? I start to turn and tried to bolt the other way to run away from them, lol. Dad grabbed me by the hood and held me back,5 of them ran less than 5 feet from us except for one that was slower, she saw me and flipped out and took off back up the hill.

I thought dad was gonna pee his pants he was laughing at me so hard. Said the look on my face and my eyes was priceless when saw those deer running at me, and he said the way I tried to take off running away from them just topped it off. I thought I was done for, lol
Old 02-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Haven't had much crazy happen to me, but this is a story I grew up hearing that always made me laugh...

One day, some years before I was born, my dad was hunting a field that borders a highway. Now, it was early archery season which, here in Washington, falls during road repair season. Apparently the stand that my dad happened to be hunting that day was only 50 - 75 yards from the highway. All afternoon he had watched a procession of road workers move their way slowly towards where he was hunting. As the workers pulled ahead of his position, the last truck pulled over and stopped. A woman he guessed to be in her late twenties or early thirties got out of the truck and scrambled towards his tree. Not knowing he was there, she proceeded directly beneath his tree, which was one of the only trees in a small field, dropped trou', and popped a squat to pee.

She finished her business and scrambled back to her truck to catch up with the rest of her crew. He says that he was half tempted to drop a pinecone on her head or say "Hey!" real loud, but figured he didn't want to scare her too bad.

Still makes me laugh.
HAHA!! now thats funny!
Old 02-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

The craziest thing I have ever experienced while bowhunting????? Hmmmmmmm

Probably last year... I can't remember a time where I felt so concerned for my safety. I was perched in a stand ona high mountain saddle (4500 feet in elevation) when a nasty thounderstorm/high winds raced in on me and nearly blew me out of my stand. Both from the wind and intense thunder and lightening. I literally felt my internal organs shake when the thunder cracked right on top of my position, I watched lightening strike out on the ridge right in front of me. I went from thinking I was gonna wait out the storm to an all out concern for my life. I remember muttering the words "OK GOD, I am scared, help me get out of here" I gathered my stuff as the thunder and high winds and rain continued and the lightening kept flashing all around me. I bailed out of the tree and dashed off the mountain afraid of potentialtrees snapping around me... Imade it off the timbered mountaintoa logging road and hoofed it home a good mile as fast as I could as trees werecontorted in angles they shouldnt be able to withstand...I wasdrenched to the bone...
Old 02-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shed did you THANK GOD for getting you home after that one?????
Old 02-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gutshot

Shed did you THANK GOD for getting you home after that one?????
Ya know Gut, I did, when I got to that logging road that had "right-away" cut for 60 feet on both sides..(meaning no trees..) I thanked him for getting me out of that timber and off that mountain.. I felt a lot better once I was out of the woods...
Old 02-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was younger, I would rifle hunt as a group with my family. So it's opening day, and everybody is having fun harrassing each other about who is going to shoot the biggest buck and so on. Then my grandpa says something like, "When you shoot one, make sure it dies close to the road for we don't have to drag it so far". My brother and Isay, "Suuuuure Gramps, no problem at all!".. (Sarcastically snickering)

We head out hunting and the 1st shot of the day was from my Grandpa. He was about 200 yards or so from the dirt road. He hits the buck good and it takes off and starts toward the road. The buck hops over the first fence, and does a nose dive, right in the middle of the road, and expires.

We walk over to him and the dead buck in the middle of the road, and he winks and says, "See boys, that's hows it's done!".
Old 02-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OKbowhunter20

OK I have a good one...it was opening moring of bow season in '06...I was sitting in the stand enjoying the sunrise when I noticed something coming around the bill of my hat....You'll never guess what it was...A TRANTULA!!! was on top of my head...well needless to say I bout fell out of the tree and gave a less than manly shriek...didnt see a deer after that either[&:]

If that ever happened to me, i would have a heart attack and die, no joke!
Old 02-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Speaking of creepy things... Last year I after a long day of bowhunting, here in KS,I found myselfsitting inside of a cabin that I rented from the Wildlife and Parks for the weekend. I'm drinking a cold one, and feel something crawling across my bare feet. I look down and it's a scorpion! I didn't even know Kansas had them, but sure enough, there it was climbing onto my foot. I shook it off, like molten lava.

I have no idea what it would've done if it bit me.... but I made sure to keep my shoe's on at all times.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:31 PM

You guys are killing me!!! Keep em' comming!!!!

Quick Reply: What is your craziest experience while bowhunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.