Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is your craziest experience while bowhunting?

Old 02-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is your craziest experience while bowhunting?

Love it! Had a girl do that to me once at a Jimmy Buffet concert....must have been the beer...
Old 02-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

I was hunting on a piece of public land and I can see this buck (120)coming from about 100+ yards. He gets to about 90 and then stops. Next thing I know he flails in the air like he got shot and ran off. GUESS WHAT!?!? HE DID GET SHOT! I had a guy out in front of my about 90 yards! It was public land so nothing I could do and he was screaming and what not so I got down and went over to him. Helped him find the deer, clean it and load it up. All in all it was still a good hunt and I was happy for him.

p.s. I have also had a deer come in with an arrow shaft sticking out of the top of his back twards the rear.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

A buddy of mine has some property that has a public walking trail as one of the borders. One evening I was hunting about 75-100 yards off the trail when two teenage kids had snuck off the trail and found what they thought was a private spot in the woods. They started to make out and I figured they would mess around for a bit and then leave, but when clothing started coming off I figured I would let them know I was there and end their fun. They both let out the highest pitch squeal I have ever heard and took off running. The funny thing is the girl left her shirt and shoes behind. The next morning I hunted the same spot and the shirt and shoes were still there, so I am not sure how she explained that to her parents.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went hunting when I had the flu. I was up a tree in a climbing stand when nature called. Actually nature was kicking in the door! I think I broke the world record climbing (sliding) down the tree. I took off on a dead run pinching my cheeks so i wouldn't fill my pants. I didn't want to go by my stand. I went as far as I could while undoing my pants. In one motion I dropped trow. and let loose. When I finished I pulled up my pants and noticed a tree stand directly above me. Thank God there was no one home!
Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had this bigowl land 2 feet away from my face. I slowly pulled my bow up to protect my face! those things have huge claws and a sharp beak! I also had a black bear walk to within 10 ft of me before I made some noise to let him know thatI was there.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Funniest thing for me was two chipmunks were chasing each other round and round the tree next to me. Well I turned out to be Chipmunk mating season. (XXX) Mr. Chipmunk got Mrs. Chipmonk in the Chipmonk Submission hold and started his deed. Like two dogs stuck together, Mrs. Chipmonk took off running again and was running under the branch. Mr. Chipmonk was only hanging on by his,,,,mmmm,,,,you know. And he was Screaming for his life and I was laughing so hard I almost fell out of the stand. I have to say I felt prety bad for the little fella. But like wild crazzy Chipmonks do,,, he was back at it after he got his little Chipmonk footing.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had plenty.

One of which was last season I watched a bear slowly walk out along a bench about 80 yards away, hit my scent trail where I walked in (I wasn't as careful about scent control then) made 90 degree turn straight up the hill toward my stand. He reaches the bottom, and by now I'm thinking "don't you do it, don't even think about it." Sure enough, he jumps up and plops his front claws into the tree to begin climbing (do I smell like a tasty cake?). I yelled (still somewhat quietly, afterall, I didn't want to thoroughly ruin my hunting), and he took off.

I've also had cats walk by my stand randomly. That's always strange.

Another funny thing I saw one time as I was climbing my stand, a small yearling came bolting through this real thick undergrowth (still don't know what spooked it to this day as it was running TOWARD me). Anyways, it gets to this downed oak (really good size, about 24" diameter). It's actually resting about 3-4 feet off the ground, so the deer goes to jump it and sure enough it's legs get taken out and it does a face plant on the other side lol I actually started laughing out loud, but she never knew I was there as she got right up and barrelled on off.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

this one time at bow huntingcamp I shove a broad headin my...........
Old 02-22-2008, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good one Wisc...

Was watching a family of racoons come down the dry creek bed I was set up on, the last little one spied my stack ladder and started trying to undo the bottom strap. Watched him for a little while, then started tapping my foot on my platform. Took about three rounds of doing that before he finally took off to join the rest.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Speaking of cats...

My nephew is a fairly casual hunter who usually takes a book to his rifle sitting spot. On this particular day, one of the farm cats appeared and settled into his lap - I guess to keep warm. A few mintues later, the cat picked up his head and stared into the woods - my nephew could not hear or see anything in that direction so he went back to reading. Eventually, some does appeared from the exact direction the cat was previously staring. Later on, the cat stared inthe samedirection and an8 point emerged from the brush in due time. My nephew smoked the 8 point and the cat moved on.

Apparently, the cat could hear the deer long before my nephew.

Quick Reply: What is your craziest experience while bowhunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.