Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do You Consider Yourself A Professional Hunter?

Old 02-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do You Consider Yourself A Professional Hunter?

As the subject line says, do you consider yourself a professional hunter? If you say no, please explain why. After we've had some input, I'll fill you in on the rest of the story.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do You Consider Yourself A Professional Hunter?

No, I don’t consider myself a professional hunter.

My thoughts are because hunting does not contribute in any way to how I make my living...

Old 02-21-2008, 06:44 PM

Depends on how you define profession.

Main Entry:
pro·fes·sion
Pronunciation:
\prə-ˈfe-shən\
Function:
noun
4 a:a calling requiring specialized knowledge and often long and intensive academic preparation b:a principal calling, vocation, or employment c:the whole body of persons engaged in a calling

By that definition, a good majority of us could be considered professional hunters.

So... Yes?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Dominant Buck

NO. I do it for my enjoyment and mine alone. I don't do it for kudos, pay, livelyhoodor to top anyone else. I do it for the meat and the satisfaction of hearing TWACK after a well thought out plan. Am I good at it? Somewhat. Do I care if anyone else cares? Not at all. It's purely a personnal thing to me. I have a couple social events each year..... but I don't count them as real hunting. LOL I know what I'm doing and it works.... FOR ME. That's the only person I'm trying to please.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:49 PM

NO. I do it for my enjoyment and mine alone. I don't do it for kudos, pay, livelyhoodor to top anyone else. I do it for the meat and the satisfaction of hearing TWACK after a well thought out plan. Am I good at it? Somewhat. Do I care if anyone else cares? Not at all. It's purely a personnal thing to me.
+1
Old 02-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mikemac10

NO. I do it for my enjoyment and mine alone. I don't do it for kudos, pay, livelyhoodor to top anyone else. I do it for the meat and the satisfaction of hearing TWACK after a well thought out plan. Am I good at it? Somewhat. Do I care if anyone else cares? Not at all. It's purely a personnal thing to me.
+1
+2
Old 02-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

no nobody picked me on draft day.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, good enough. A professional is someone who gets paid to do something. Normally, to become a professional you must have the training, experience and the skill necessary to beable to do what you are being rewarded (paid) for.

Now I submit that, if you have experience in hunting and have taken game that you have placed on your table, you are a professional.

By taking the the time to learn how to hunt and then going out and setting yourself up to get the prey, you have worked. Then by harbesting the game and then placing the meat on your table, you earned the game that you took through your skill. Anytime you work and receive something other than currency for your effort, itis considered "income in kind". Not only that, but you have provided substinance for you and your family.

Since you have worked and then been "paid" (rewarded) that makes you a professional.

Now in my case, I would have to say that I am a part time professional hunter as the only thing I put on the table from this year is tag soup.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not know the definition of "professional hunter"....I do it for me, for the fun of living the hunt. Nothing I do in life compares to the fun of hunting. I do not think anyone is a "professional hunter" unless he/she hunts for their survival.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:00 PM

No, I don't get paid to hunt, therefore I am not a professional. I do, however, have a professional attitude about it, and I'm not referring to tv star mentality.

Quick Reply: Do You Consider Yourself A Professional Hunter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.