Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do You Consider Yourself A Professional Hunter?

Old 02-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do You Consider Yourself A Professional Hunter?

but will never be proficient enough to become a professional

In my opinion, in most cases it has nothing to do with someone not being able to be proficient enough to be considered a professional - that's just not what they do for a living... As an example I believe there are many on this board that could rival the success of most any 'pro hunters' - should the decision be made to try and do it for a living/full time....
Old 02-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SouthDakotaHunter

but will never be proficient enough to become a professional

In my opinion, in most cases it has nothing to do with someone not being able to be proficient enough to be considered a professional - that's just not what they do for a living...
Hunting is part of what I do for a living. It saves me tons of money on meat that I don't have to purchase (if you could purchase venison and wild turkey). Most of all, it is a part of the way I live and could not imagine spending the rest of my life without hunting. That definately would not be living.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

AF,

I have great respect for the military and all those who have served. I wish those instillations could be applied to this country'scitizenry. All this "entitlement" BS is becoming a burden.I haverespect for the phrase " ask not what your country can do for you, but rather,what you can do for your counrty". I know I'm singing to the choir. Thank you for your service!

I would not say I become frustrated upon a mission's failure. Rather, I become more driven. I push harder and go farther...failure is not an option. The logistics are shifted to another time andanother place. Yep, I take with me the things I've learned prevoiusly.

I have been on many cull hunts where the mission was to kill every animal of a given specieson sight. Early on, killing them and moving on, at times (depending on the species), came into great conflict with my deeply rooted "don't kill it if you're not going to eat it" beliefs. The conservationist in me pushed me forward, but my little angel of a grandmother was sitting on my shoulder saying "don't let it go to waste". So now I endeavor to plan missions with dual objectives and build in enough time to accomplishs those objectives. I have yet to be paid for my services though (other than filling my neighbor's/community's freezers with meat).

I wish the world on you and the best of luck in your woods!
Old 02-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Huck,

As I am getting ready to retire this summer, I am looking forward to getting the rest of the food plots on my land. Once they are done, I have to get Cabin #1 built back in the campgrounds. I have a lot to get done before my retirement party here on the 4th of July weekend but in the back of my mind I am always thinking about the best places for stands and what else I can do to make this place great turkey and deer hunting with good Iowa fishing. I am also working on the plans for a permanent elevated stand/cabin on the Northwest side of my property by the oak grove.

After 30+ years military experience, I am ready to settle down and slow down a bit. There's been a lot of close calls over the years but I cannot think of a better career path to follow (for me anyway). I've been around the world three times, been to 36 countries, and have met a lot cool people. I have experiences that are priceless and will cherish them the rest of my life (as long as dementia doesn't set in!)