Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you could....

Old 02-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If you could....

mine would have been what I didnt do... late into the season last year after I had already killed one nice buck.... I was bowhunting during the rifle season here during late November. Temp were really cold.. teens, and below zero at night...

From acreek bottomstand Iwas hunting,I started seeing/via binoculars about 600 yards away...a doe family group frequenting this one particular edge of an old clearcut . After glassing these does from my position I think it was two days in a row, I told myself"You need to get up there asap, hang a stand on that mountainside edgeand wait to see what kind of buck shows up on those does"...

Well I didnt do it the next day and I could have, I feel I chose the easier way out ofjust hunting another "good" stand instead of doing the work and getting set upon that mountain side clearcut....The season was starting to wear on me a bit and I got lazy.....I chose to hunt a stand I had already had hung. While sitting in the stand that I chose, I could now glass about 1000 yards away and still watch that same edge.. SURE enough.. on the third day a whopper buck, (150 plus)..showed up down there with those does. All I could do was sit and watch him in my binocs from about 1/2 a mile away..Heworked those doesright on that clear cut line for a good solid 5 minutes out in the open.. YOU Dont see this much here, especially during rifle season...I didnt listen to that little voice insideand I should have.. I ended up seeing one more really nice 135-140 class buck there two days later.. so I missed out on at least two great bucks in 3 days.. simply because i didnt follow my intuition... I think the fact that is was bitter cold and that I had options... I got lazy and chose the easier option.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not something I'd take back, but more of what I would have brought. I wish I wouldn't have forgotten my treestand strap on one of my hunting trips to ohio. That was a heartbreaking adventure and missed opportunity. [:@]
Old 02-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

I wouldnt have passed on a deceant buck waiting for the monster to come by this year.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

i would've used buckshot in stead...
Old 02-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't have moved from MI to Chicago...really cuts down the time I was able to spend in the stand!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:24 AM

ORIGINAL: ihunt1975

I could have hunted more. Basically confined from hunting anywhere but my backyard because of my eye problem(not seeing well enough to drive).
Hope your eye gets better!

How well were/are you able to aim if you can't see well enough to drive?
Old 02-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Wish I had gone every chance I had. Hopefully it wasn't my last season. My back surgery doesn't work I may never hunt again.
Good Luck, Charlie P.
x3!!
Old 02-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Nothing. My season went well. Much better than last year. I tagged a nice deer or hog every time I went out, with one exception, opening day. I shoot nothing on opening day. So I guess i could have stayed at home opening day. That is all I could think of changing.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shouldn't of checked my camera's so much.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nybowhunter

Hey whitetail..I am gonna say just the opposite. I would hunt a stand in the morning, get discouraged and switch spots for the afternoon. Sure enough one of my hunting buddies would see deer at the spot I left. It happened to me all season. Fianlly one day, I remained patient and got a small buck! Next year I am going to stay with my original plan for the day. I hunt on private property and we have stands all over the place, so it is easy to second guess yourself and start moving around. Especially when other guys are seeing deer.
The thing is I didn't changed spots. I hunted the same stand for over 2 months everyday!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.