Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Simple question for you self-fletchers

Old 02-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Simple question for you self-fletchers

If I fletch ALL my arrows the same way (I just bought a Bitz and I only got the right helical clamp).........and I get it set up ONE time.......

.....can I not fletch from that point forward without having to make a single adjustment to my jig.....no matter which arrow I'm fletching or no matter which feather/vane?

If you're wondering.....it's still in the box......but I need to do some fletching, tonight.[&:]

I'm going to Lowe's after work. If I have acetone and glue.....am I "set"?

TY!
Old 02-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Simple question for you self-fletchers

Yes as long as you have fletch contact from top to bottom of fletch depending on it's length.

At least I can with my straight clamp set on an offset. I don't do anything longer than 3" so far tho. The longer they are, the more chances they may miss the smaller arrows like my ACC's.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Dominant Buck

So you're saying I may have trouble with a/c/c's and 5" feathers? That's my plan on what to shoot, this year.....but they will be 3-71's (which shoud help, some).
Old 02-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

As long as it is the same arrow shaft you shouldn't have to adjust anything from one arrow to the next. If you are going from thicker to thinner or the other way then you would have to adjust it.

I would use denatured alcohol instead of acetone to clean the shaft and vanes. I do use acetone but just on stubborn glue and then I clean the shaft with denatured alcohol.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:15 PM

Yep. If you set it up right from the beginning, ie, have the cock vane the right way w/ the nock....You'll be able to simply put the arra in the jig and not worry about lining up anything.

Our jigs at the shot are set up for cock vane to the side.....so when guys need cock vane up or down, we simply turn the nock. BUT, when they need just 1 vane redone, we have to turn the nock to ensure the vane goes in the same place. It's not difficult by any means, but if you set it up right you will never have to worry about it.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't forget the Denatured alcohol at Lowes.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff, why 5" feathers on ACC's? 5" is way overkill isn't it? Knowing that feathers drag more air than vanes and slightly more than the higher profile Blazers and the fact you are shooting Rages, 5" is way overkill unless it's for looks. You could use 4" or a cool looking 3" and still be more than adequate. I can see the 5" for traditional but you won't shoot ACC's with the trad bow would you?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:19 PM

Good point, Rob. Maybe it's to save some cash and not get 4 different feathers?? 5" is WAY overkill, no question. Not that it won't work, it by golly will......It's just not NEEDED....
Old 02-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Bruce.....none of the shafts I'll be using are the same size (3 different sizes for 3D and 2 different sizes to hunt....turkeys/deer).

That's gonna be an issue?

Mobo....I use pin nock bushings and uni nocks.....and they'll spin to line up however I want them to. Would it matter where the nocks were when you started.....as long as you could spin it on the string? My question is.......will the jig "prompt" me to the three locations I need to place a fletch?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm thinkin' he's using the 5" feathers for turkey hunting???

You'll love that jig, and yes all that stuff works with the RH clamp also... I love it.

Quick Reply: Simple question for you self-fletchers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.