Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Simple question for you self-fletchers

Old 02-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Simple question for you self-fletchers

Hey Jeff.

I use a Bitz also. Best jig out there, IMO. And I use a straight-clamp, but off-set it a couple-3 degrees. It's been set the same since the day I opened the box.

The jig will fletch cock-vane (or odd colored-vane) left. I have a TM hunter-type rest (cock-vane down). I use Easton XX78 with the Uni-bushing. When I have just one vane to replace, it's apain in the a$$getting it to line up perfectly. When I first fletch the arrows, I use a razor-knife (or anything that will leave a very small, definate line) and mark the nock and the Uni- bushing. Then, after fletching,I turn my nocks to adjust for the cock-vane-down position of my rest. When I need to replace a vane or two, Iline-up the marks onthe nock/bushing and everything's perfect first-try.

If you shoot a drop-away-rest, obviously you don't have to worry about nock-alignment at all, since nothing contacts the arrows at release.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:47 PM

wanted to throw this in so as to not make another post?

whats a good fletching glue that you all use? Just found out mine dried up from leavin the cap off by accident[:@]and it was pretty poor to begin with
Old 02-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If I fletch ALL my arrows the same way (I just bought a Bitz and I only got the right helical clamp).........and I get it set up ONE time.......

.....can I not fletch from that point forward without having to make a single adjustment to my jig.....no matter which arrow I'm fletching or no matter which feather/vane?

If you're wondering.....it's still in the box......but I need to do some fletching, tonight.[&:]

I'm going to Lowe's after work. If I have acetone and glue.....am I "set"?

TY!
For the most part very little adjustments if any will be needed but with helical going from large diameter shafts to small diameter shafts and different length fletching,you SHOULD make some minor adjustments for optimum fletiching base contact with the shaft.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I have THREE HUNDRED 5" feathers
Sell them,you really don't want that much drag on a light arrow.Slow a light arrow down too fast it becomes unstable and groups will open up.

For hunting,that really isn't that big of an issue but plinking in the yard,you will probably notice a difference.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I copied this out of the Easton tuning guide.

Understand that they are talking about LONG range stuff and that hunting shafts NEED drag with fixed blade broadheads.

The question is how much drag and how light is light along with at what distance will you notice the problem.

At what point are you hurting yourself with TOO much drag,imo,5" helical feathers on 400 grainish arrows is too much and will be less accurate than a 4" at 30 -40 yards.It may not affect your hunting distances but will come into play when in the back yard.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

can I not fletch from that point forward without having to make a single adjustment to my jig.....no matter which arrow I'm fletching or no matter which feather/vane?
Absolutely not.

If you are fletching three differentdiameter shafts with a helical clamp then you will need to adjust the jig for each of the different diameter shafts. The helical clamp will "wrap" around the different diameter shafts differently for each and you will need to adjust to get the best contact between the shaft and feather.

And don't let any one tell you that 5" feathers are over kill. You will just have better arrow control than the rest of these guys.
Very good post. If you change diameter of your arrows, MUST change your jig to fit properly. It may fit ok without changing your jig, but you can tweak it for maximum contact with your shaft.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

Jeff,
You will need to reset the jig when you go to a different arrow size. With the 5" feathers on 3-71 you won't get the twist in the feather that you would with a shorter one but they will still fly great. The jig has 3 set screws on the piece that you turn to rotate the arrow for the next feather. Each one sets the jig for different settings like 3, 4 or 5(i think) to make flu flu arrows. You picked the best jig on the market. Just read the instructions and start fletching.

Darrall