Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Running your Corvette in O/D

Old 02-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Running your Corvette in O/D

I went to Bowtech with my sights set on a speed demon. I got just what they told me they'd give me.....with my 82nd Airborne.

Then came the realization that the speed came at a price. Draw cycle. Shooting it once or 6 times in the shop before ordering.....I didn't give it much thought. I had the Chrono still fresh on my brain. But make no mistake......it's not your daddy's draw cycle.

So.....initially I just set it up at 62#'s. Fair enough......and a screamer at that.

What I've found...since turning it down a little further.....is a happy median between speed demon and old man. I'm probably pulling 60#'s, now.....and I'm guessing STILL pushing 320 or better.

This is the real deal for me NOW. The difference in the draw from 70 to 60#'s is incredible. If you're thinking of this bow....I STRONGLY urge you to look at the 60# limbs.

Just a suggestion.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Running your Corvette in O/D

Did you order the 60 pound limbs? If so, how is that working out?

Old 02-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Dominant Buck

They're not here, yet. They should be here this week. I'll let you know.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, that is what I've come to conclude after many years of searching for speed and pushing the limits with hatchet cam bows. You can get blazing speeds, but you have to give up something. With the 82nd it is draw cycle and brace height. The same goes with the XForce. With the Iron Mace it is shooting a lighter arrow and draw cycle.

I have always pursued speed because I have a short draw length so want to make up for that to attain higher KE becaue I like to shoot wide cutting expandables. The bow still has to be huntable though. My current bow is a dream on the draw cycle, but still leaves me wanting more speed. My last bow, the Allegiance was probably the best blend I've found thus far. The draw was acceptable and the speed was more than adequate.

When I drew the 82nd for the first time I was actually pleasantly surprised. Surprised enough that I considered the bow and shot it at my shop and was lucky enough that they had a lefty for me to try. After about a dozen shots that last hump to drop into the very short valley had made my mind up for me. No doubt it is a great bow, but not what I'm looking for to hunt with.

I think Bowtech is on the verge of creating the perfect bow for me. A bow with a 340+ IBO, with a decent brace, and a draw that I would be comfortable with at around 65# and can easily get back on a cold January day after sitting for 4 hours. I suspect that this bow is right on the horizon for the next year or two with the direction they've been taking. We'll see.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey I have no issues witht he bow as a hunting bow.....and that's where it'll find its home in my stable. But it was "I" who made the mistake.....thinking I was going to find the perfect target/hunting combo. It's just too harsh a cycle for ME to pull 60-75 times in a session. For others it may be perfect.

And....it WILL be perfectly acceptable at the lower poundage....and still outperform 90% of the bows out there.

My post was to tell others.....if you're thinking of shooting this bow a LOT (Im 6'1"/200#'s).....then you "might" wanna consider it in the 60# limbed version. For a pure hunting bow.....I'd throw it on 65#'s and not worry about it.

I know this bow's popular....and gaining momentum. My post is merely a "suggestion".
Old 02-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Boy I should head to the Archives and find the Hardcorehunter Post when he strongly suggested we all do just that! (60# in lieu of 70#) You may have been a naysayer in that one.. I know buddy..we all live and learn!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm STILL a naysayer in that. Make no mistake about it.

THIS BOW is "different". If I were shooting an ALLY, still....I'd shoot it at 71#'s to hunt with. If I were shooting a Mathews....NO PROBLEM.

(You see a pattern?)

I'm making a suggestion for people interested in THIS BOW (the 82nd). Nothing more.

Let's put it this way, GR8.....if you can pull this bow back at 70#'s and it not affect you.......you're the man! And I think you SHOULD shoot it (hunting-wise) at the higher #-age (WHY NOT?????). I think everyone should shoot the highest poundage they can comfortably shoot to hunt with......be that 60 or 90#'s.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

heh.........

j/k.......lol.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey old man how old are you anyways?
Old 02-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm 43.

Quick Reply: Running your Corvette in O/D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.